windsock/anchor with lug rig

Looking for ideas about using a windsock (aka wind anchor) with a lug rig to heave to with a lug rig.  I just installed the rig on my northeast dory.  How big? Ideas about where to attach it and how to deploy it when alone? Thanks in advance! 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: windsock/anchor with lug rig

I have Hove to in some asloop rig and cutter rigged boats. None of that operation involved a sock. I have also used a couple of wind socks to stabilize my fishing boat during drift fishing. Some things come to mind........ 1. You need a really big one to stop the boat. My 36" is a real pain to bring in. 2. I cannot imagine when I'd deploy the chute with a sail up in a small boat. 3. Small light weight boats that can capsize easy don't need that exercise.

I've never heard of this windsock thing.  On my Eastport pram, I could just ease the main way out until it's luffing and tie off the tiller to leeward.  This caused the boat to basically drift sideways.  Have you tried it yet?

Yeah, what Cap'n Skully said.  With daggerboard down, she won't drift much.  Works if it isn't so rough that you feel like you need to keep her head to wind and waves.  On my Passagemaker, I've used a kayaker's drogue with success if I want to stop sailing or rowing and slow down the drift if the wind is getting up much.  Of course, if the water ain't too deep, the best way to keep her from wandering about is to anchor.

.....Michael

Thanks for the replies.  As far as I can figure out, a windsock or wind anchor is the same as a kayaker's drogue.  Michael: how big of a drogue have you used?  Captain Skully: No, I didn't know about that manuever, and I look forward to trying it out soon!   

Drogue not too big--something maybe as much as 24 inches, if memory serves.  Cone shaped business when deployed, with a little float attached by a short line to the narrow end and a stout ring on straps at the wide end for attaching to the rode.  Meant to keep you head to wind and slow your drift, if rigged over the bow as you would with an anchor which, I trust, you've figured out how to do.  Search for "kayak drogue" on Amazon and you'll see some examples.

It is important to drill stuff like this.  Don't wait for a hard chance where you need it to work to find out what works and what doesn't.  When your arms are tired, the rain has left you cold and soaked to the skin, and the wind is trying to remove what's left of your hair while getting you in position so the waves can dash you against the rocks just to leeward is not when you want to start experimenting with how to slow or stop the boat's downwind progress.

Y'all be careful out there....

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.