Passagemaker Take(n ) Apart - now what?

Last night the kiddos helped as I cut the Passagemaker in two with the world's dullest saw. It could have gone better, or straighter, but finally it happened. I know I need to fill the gaps with wood floured epoxy, but do I sand the hull edges flush with the bulkheads, or just sand down the epoxy and not remove anymore hull edge?

Although my bullheads were installed in alignment with the pre-drilled holes for copper wire, I'm worried that, once bolted back in place, my boat will resemble a banana...on its side. Pics linked below https://photos.app.goo.gl/CFSymrwnxfySjBDR7

Thanks!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker Take(n ) Apart - now what?

I had similar questions when I built my Sectional Shearwater Sport kayak. I decided to sand the hull edges flush with the bulkheads, but you may not need to go quite so far. You do, however, need to sand them down enough so that, after you install the rubber membrane, you can connect the two pieces together firmly in a water-tight joint. That means the bulkhead edges cannot butt up against each other with the membrane installed. 

You will also need to make sure that the outer surface of each bulkhead is smooth and flat. Irregularities may allow trickles of water to seep into your boat.

It's all a bit of a pain, but it will work out well in the end.

On our PMD take apart, we trimmed the plank edges flush where we sawed through.  We then had quite a bit of smoothing out to do where the saw wandered off some and got into the bulkheads a little, but it all came out well.  We painted the plank edges white maybe a half inch or more deep into the gap where the gasket goes so the gap wouldn't show so much.

.....Michael

I did what Gramps did and it looks awesome.

Sand flat, patch , paint, put the gasket on and get on the water.

You will never notice an errors.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.