Denatured alcohol alternative

Hello, I'm doing my prep for varnish where the manual calls for denatured alcohol. I can not find that in the stores here in Canada. Does it go by another name? Are there good alternatives? I have a large tin of camp fuel, also goes by the names 'white fuel' and 'naptha' .. anyone try that? Maybe just water? Thanks

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Denatured alcohol alternative

Yeah, nomenclature across national lines is a trick. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives to make it unable to be consumed as drink, using toxic, foul tasting additives. In the UK it's called methylated spirits. The white fuel is a highly refined petroleum so don't use it.

That said, if you are using more trad varnish, like the Schooner (which I like), consider that the Interlux recommendation is to sand and then wipe the surface w/ their Brushing Liquid 333, which is just a mix of kerosene and "solvent naptha" (petroleum solvent).  I've used "mineral spirits" from the hardware store or even turpentine and have had success with varnish.  All these are slower drying than alcohol.

I just wouldn't use the white fuel because of it's higher flammability and possible solvency.  Here, I've always known it as "Coleman fuel" as it's what I used in my Coleman camp stoves, and I've had a couple of spectacular fireballs with the stuff when I got stupid.

I would think an auto body supply could supply you with a dewaxing/degreasing stuff that would work also.  Would be similar to the "wiping compound".

Also, everclear, or high proof moonshine should work!  

Mike

Here I NS it is available as the blue coloured alcohol stove fuel. I bought a big jug of it at Home Hardware. It is a common fuel used in the small stoves in a sailboat galley. I don't have it handy but will check later this evening for the name. I think Canadian Tire sells it as well. Worked well for me. It comes in a clear plastic bottle, not a can.  Hope this helps.

Canadian Tire "methyl hydrate" found in both Automotive Chemicals and in Paints and Stains. Denatured alcohol under a different name.

Methyl hydrate is actually methanol, or wood alcohol, whereas denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives. For purpose of solvent I'd have to see how they differ. Stove alcohol is ethanol because it burns better than methanol for stoves, and engines.

The stuff I bought at Home Harware, which they recommended, was called "Marine Alcohol." I understand it to be ethanol. 

Denatured alcohol is also known as shellac thinner.

hokker 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.