Doel-fins on a Peeler Skiff

Catboater,

I finally took your advice and spent the $28 necessary to install Doel-Fins on the 9.9 hp Yamaha 4-stroke that powers my Peeler Skiff, About Time. I wish I'd done it sooner.

I'm getting an extra 2 kts in speed and a huge improvement in fuel burned. She's also a lot more comfortable with the bow down where it belongs. 2 kts may not seem like all that much, but it's only 9.9 hp and she usually carries 3-4 adults.

Cheers,

Dick

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Doel-fins on a Peeler Skiff

Dick

I'm glad it worked on the 9.9 as it did on my 15. The improvement on handling  is impressive. It's nice when a reasonably priced product performs as advertized. Be aware that, with the bow riding lower, the Peeler can carom interestingly off wave fronts at speed.

Haven't been on the water yet - life - but will be get out next week after the weekend crazies go home. Probably go out early early to duck the heat. The water temps off Rocky Point are flirting with 80 so I think I head down your way for cooler water.

Stay safe.

catboater

RE: Doel-fins on a Peeler Skiff

Catboater,

Saturday we went out from our mooring in Fishing Cove, trolled up and down outside the Wickford Harbor breakwater, then headed out to Fox Island, and then to the Jamestown Bridge, before heading back to Fishing Cove. It was hot ashore, but very comfortable out on the water. Finally installed the Bimini I bought a few years ago. making the bright sun much less of an issue.

With the Doel-Fins, the 9.9 hp Yamaha used less than a gallon of fuel in 5 hours and was making 6.5 - 6.8 knots, with 3 adult males aboard, at 3/4 throttle according to the GPS. Should have listened to you years ago.

Hope to bump into you sometime.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.