Paint

Hay folks! So my skerry is ready for paint. Going to do one or two coats of Interlux pre coat primer, then the brightside. My question is 'has anyone ever applied these with a 7 inch roller?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint

First, with single part paints there isn't universal agreement on the need for single part primers. The primers are soft, and almost show more problems in use (bright white scratches...) than they help during application. They slightly help in filling pinholes or in giving you one last coating to fair out any remaining imperfections, but epoxy with a filler-of-choice does that just fine too.

For painting, most would recommend the roll-and-tip method, where a suitable-sized block is rolled, then immediately tipped-off with an almost dry foam brush, very lightly applied from dry toward the wet, usually in horizontal lines. So the roller's job is to get the paint on and evenly spread, as quickly as possile, so the brush has time to blend the new patch with the previous. How succesful the blend is going is what determines how big a patch can be rolled on -too big and the overlaps stack up instead of laying down.

Since we're usually buying by the quart, and limited in the area we can successfully apply with a roller, it makes no sense to lose a bunch of extra paint to the roller per coat, to no real speed advantage.

Jim,

When I painted my Peeler Skiff , I started by using PreKote. I'll never use it again over epoxy resin. It suck water out of the air at a speed and volume I wouldn't have believed. It is way too soft as well. It's purpose is to fair minor imperfections. As I had already done that with resin and micro balloons, I ended up sanding all the PreKote off and painting directly in the resin (which had all been sanded). I believe that the resin provides a much stronger base for the BrightSide I painted the boat with. This winter I did some very minor touchup where the paint had been damaged by bumps and abrasions. That's the only painting (other than anti-fouling bottom paint) I've needed to do since August 2014.

Cheers,

Dick

I painted the outside of my skerry using Prekote. I didn't sand enough of it off and had some humidity issues. I was not best pleased by the adhesion and hardness of the Brightsides top coat. A fair bit of resanding occurred. The interior was just Brightsides on sanded epoxy and I was happier. On the Kaholo I'm about to launch, I used Prekote again but it's in the basement with a stout dehumidifier controlling the environment. And the broad flat panels of the Kaholo makes it easier to sand. Most of the primer got sanded off just leaving the small grooves, pinholes and such filled. I almost used it like a sanding aid to spot lows and highs. I think this is the way to use it. But the skerry lapstrakes give the hull a lot of visual interest and disguise a lot of imperfections that otherwise might be noticed. So, a perfect sand and prime isn't needed to get lots of compliments, unless all your friends are anal retentive.

Well gee wizz..you guys just about have me talked out of using the primer. On my built from plans ultralight Pram I just used brightside, three or four coats if I remember correctly. It looks ok but on closer inspection it is kinda splotchy, and does not cover as well as I'd like. I could have taken more time with it but had this big oll skerry kit come into my possession that I couldn't wait to rip into. Now I'm wanting to get it done so I can start my 1st generation oxford shell, but that will be another post. After that I'm swearing off epoxy for a while, think skin on frame after that. The precoat description is making me think the finish coat will roll on more evenly and just look better, but as of right now 07/25 is paint day, last night I sanded all the epoxy to a pretty nice even white scuff. So I recon I'll go with y'all's advice and just paint the epoxy. I have a quart of blue I was figuring on using on panel 3, top, sheer line panel. Now should I paint everything white? And go over the white with the blue or mask a line and keep the layers of colors separate?

Thx  jim

O yea, just so ya know my projects are done in a climate controlled boat barn. 

I'd mask, bring white & blue together just at their common edge. Blue over white's a recipe for every ding & scratch to be highlighted.

I'll be painting my Waterlust's hull shortly, using Kirby's Hull & Deck enamel. Their primer'll go on first (the better to create a surface that fixes all the little not quite perfect details in the 'glass & epoxywork underneath) then their #29 Colonial Yellow for the panels up to #4 which will be their #24 Red.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.