Finishing a lapstrake hull

We are finally on to sanding, painting, and varnishing my Chester Yawl with its lapstrake hull ( paint exterior and varnish interior).

In the CL C video collection their technique for a applying varnish is illustrated on the exterior of a nice, broad, flat kayak hull - vertical strokes followed by horizontal.

Anyone want to share their technique for applying paint to the exterior of a lapstrake hull and varnish to the interior?

And for a bonus, tips on sanding the interior, where 5-inch rotary sanders have limited reach?

Many thaks,

DaveJ

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finishing a lapstrake hull

Finding the same issues with our wherry.

Im hand sanding using Mirka Abranet with a backing pad and vacuum, its as quick as using the ROS without risk of overdoing it, did the outside too.

In terms of paint and varnish, planning on rollering and tipping out, probably at right angles to start with on the bottom two planks as no strake then going in line with the planks.

���I have taken to using foam sanding blocks. I had a bunch kind of worn so I just wrap a 1/4 sheet of sandpaper lengthwise over it and hold it by hand. Enough give and flex to deal with inside curves and edges and my fingers don't wear out. On my skerry exterior I cheated a bit and added flattening agent to the Brightsides green since I had a less perfect surface than one might wish. Still gets compliments without the super gloss. I pretty much painted it a plank at a time, rolling along the plank and tipping back. I just used a brush on the laps themselves. A nice small bristle brush did better than foam brushes in that case, and you can clean it and reuse it.

Now finishing up the exterior hull.

After trying foam and good bristle brush application on the initial primer coat, ended up using mimiroller followed by a dry 2.5 or 3 inch brush. Much better result for the exterior.

Foam brushes from CLC were worthless with primer, head separates from stick and plastic inset and have uneven application. Fortunately we had just enough paint to put on a second coat of primer in the spotty foam brushed areas.

I imagine that we will use smaller roller and dry brush on interior as well as brush application for tighter areas.

We just went plank by plank horizontally.

Thanks for input.

DaveJ

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.