Lighthouse Tender Peapod overnight camp cruising

I’m pondering how I could camp-cruise a Lighthouse Tender Peapod for a night of two, sleeping aboard a temporary bunk spanning between the three thwarts, and located to one side of the centreboard case.

Has the peapod’s hull form sufficient lateral stability to cope with my 200lbs sleeping to one side, without running the danger of dipping a gunwale if wind driven waves pipe up durung the night?

.Thoughts please..

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Lighthouse Tender Peapod overnight camp cruising

If you are comfortable sleeping on one side in a sort of semi-fetal position, and not very long of limb, you might be able to curl up with a hip on the floorboards (with a backer's foam pad underneath), your feet aft, and your shoulder and head propped up on a dry bag with clothing (or other soft stuff) and a small pillow between your head and the edge of the midship thwart.  I've experimented with something like this aboard my PMD in the garage, just to see if I could get comfortable enough to sleep...if I could figure out how to tent it in.  Still theorizing at this stage, wondering about how I might be able to spend a night or two afloat after our Menger 19 catboat is sold, as we are in the middle of some major life still changes here.

It's worth a try.

.....Michael

...should have typed "...life style changes...."

The Peapod is a very stable boat.

It can handle John standing up while it's moving slowly through glassy water, with almost no wind blowing on the sail to counterbalance a standing person.

The cross sections show how the nearly flat bottom at the center gives excellent initial stability. The 160 lbs of hull weight will also resist reasonable waves.

If you're really concerned, at night you could have all your gear on the side opposite to where you'll be sleeping. You could also bring along some empty milk jugs, fill them with water and hang them over the opposite side for balance.

When I'm "parked" in my Faering Cruiser for the night, I find a sheltered spot, preferably too shallow for power boats (1 ft is plenty for the FC in rowing mode). Something similar would keep you feeling secure in the Peapod. Don't forget to get a good weather report before you head out.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.