Advice on "breaking" super-glued temp seams??

I'm building the Oxford Shell II for my wife, Tracy.  Got started late and how it's super hot in the Texas garage... but I need some advice.  I've glued up the planks with the super-glue (temporary tack welds) and the stern does NOT fit well (see Pictures).  I guess I need to break the "welds" glue seams and refit the stern hull.

Any advice on HOW to go about breaking the super-glue seams?
Oxford shell stern
I'm betting there may be an easy way - and a hard and destructive way.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Advice on "breaking" super-glued temp seams??

���Your image didnt load, but do you have a dremel with a cutting wheel?

Acetone ought to work but be really careful as it's quite flammable.

I'd use the straight stuff rather than nail polish remover which has other compounds in it to counteract the skin-drying effect pure acetone will have.

Try applying it with a cotton-tipped swab so you're not dealing with a lot of the stuff exposed to air at one time.

I haven't had to try this yet, but CLC seems to think this CA glue debonder works well enough to stock it:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/marine-epoxy-fiberglass/uncure-debonder.html

Awesome - just the advice I was seaking.  I didn't know there was such a thing as UNBONDER.

Now I'm off to the local stores to find it.

Thanks!

all I could find at the local hardware (nothing) and hobby store was Goof Off.  Tried it - no success.  Tried acitone - no luck either.  So mail orderd some official Bob Smith industries UN-CURE - had to wait on Amazon prime deliver... and within 5 min. I had my pannels unbonded.  

This is great to know - it works very well.  CLC should include a 1 oz bottle in a kit.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.