Duckling Disaster

I was told the "plug" added by the wood manufacturer wouldn't be noticeable. Wrong! It's on my Duckling sapele deck. Quite visable light spot, about thumb size. If I were to grind out glass, any thoughts on how to darken or otherwise disguise? 

(I thought I could upload a photo here???)

17 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Duckling Disaster

How to post pictures on the forum

Once you've posted we can see what the problem is and maybe offer a solution.

Laszlo

Were it my boat, I'd convince myself that it's a feature, not a flaw. If that didn't work, I'd cover it with a decal or some creative paint design.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157014814@N03/50073764471/in/datetaken-ff/   

Duckling plug

Lazio, others, after my original plea I thought about removing sufficient glass and  covering the plug with a CLC "onlay". I've used the heat gun method to successfully remove glass tape on inside of deck and cockpit. Somewhat apprehensive about doing that on the deck.

Actually, you can put the onlay on to of the glass, then cover with several coats of epoxy.

Jeffrey,

We can't see your picture - says no permission and it wants a login. For those of us who do not have Flickr accounts, that's a problem.

Laszlo

Flikr was listed in the in the instructions.  Is there a preferred site?

Didn't work for me, either, and I do have a Flickr account.  The trick is...or was...not to share the photo url, but to create what they called a "Guest Pass".

However, I just discovered that the jolly pirates at Flickr appear to have recently changed the login system and have, in the process, seemingly lost all of my albums, so who knows what works now and what doesn't?  All of my previously, until recently, working Guest Passes are now non funcuntional.  Pirates!  Well, heck, now I'm angrier with Flickr than I already was!

.....Michael

I am a Flickr user and find that it works well with this forum.  It appears that Jeffery has not made the photo viewable by the public.  Click into the picture and change the "Viewing Privacy" setting to "Public."  On a Windows platform, this is located on the lower right.  

Thanks Mark N. I changed it to Public

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157014814@N03/50073764471/in/datetaken-ff/

Yeah, that definitely needs something to cover it up. I'm really surprised that it got past the guys at CLC. I've never seen a piece of sapele with a flaw like that. If it was me, I'd contact CLC and see about getting some support in the form of a complimentary onlay to put over that.

They have some neat little laser cut animals (maybe the walnut dolphins or the carb or turtle, for example) that would cover that, work with the asymmetry and look good, too. As Mark says, you don't need to peel off the glass first.

Laszlo

Thanks all! I do believe a couple of dancing dolphins would look great on this Duckling intended for a second grader. 

Nor have I ever seen a face-veneer blemish like that. What's mystifying is how the blemish continues across a puzzle joint to another piece of wood, which comes from elsewhere on the sheet of plywood. It looks more like like a sand-through of the face veneer.

I'd have replaced that panel for you in a heartbeat.

John is obviously correct. You must have accidently sanded through the top layer of the plywood when you prepped for fiberglassing. The grain in the puzzle joints doesn't line up so those were obviously different sections of the original plywood (or entirely different sheets).

No worries, though. The dancing dolphins will work wonders.

Duckling disaster avoided! Thanks to all, with a special shout out to Terry Otis. I think a certain 2nd grader nephew will be pleased. .First dip this Saturday.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.