WD 14 front hatch

Hello,

Looking at my drawings for my WD 14, there is no forward hatch included. Yet, I am to do an end pour. I take it I'm supposed to wing it? Anyone else come up against this? 

Thanks

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD 14 front hatch

Same thing for the WD12. I think before the deck is attached you're meant to build a dam some distance behind the bow and pour into that space. Personally, I dislike endpours because of the weight, mess and expense, so I used some scrap pieces of pine and made a stem (and stern) piece.

Each piece is locked into place by the one above it. The final piece is held in place by the clamp. The piece of polyethylene keeps the clamp from becoming a permanent part of the boat. It's worked for 12 years now with no problem.

Laszlo

Unfortunately the building instructions are out of wack. They instruct to reattach the hull and deck then do an end pour. This is impossible without a hatch because the bulkhead is in the way.  Though it's advertised as having both a front and rear hatch on the website. 

Are you building from a kit or plans? If a kit and the front hatch wasn't included you should contact CLC and let them know. They're good at taking care of problems. If from plans and the parts aren't on the plans, contact CLC and they should be able to get you the drawings. 

George K

Just looked at my manual, v4.7, 3/2011. Page 39 tells how to measure and cut out the rear hatch and says "WD 14 builders should repeat this procedure for the forward hatch". Interest thing is the drawings in the front of the manual don't show a forward hatch but the photo on the cover has one. Page 57 says WD 14 builders will do the bow endpour thru the forward hatch, not the cockpit. So obviously you should put in a forward hatch!

George K

There are WD 10 and 12s without front bulkheads. The literature says that the 14 is big eough it needs the front bulkhead. So the literature was likely from the shorter boats just modified for the bigger boat. 

I don't dam pour. Like Laszlo I put a wood stem piece in. 

Personally I look ahead to see where I'm building before I get there to see if I'm going to do it the way they tell me. Looking at the pictures, parts, plans, etc then planning the build.  But that's experience. 

You really need a hatch. Space is a rare thing in a kayak. You need access. Go ahead and put one in.  It will be a lot easier than working with sticks from the cockpit through an access hatch in the already installed(?)  bulkhead. 

When i ordered my Wood Duck 14 Hybrid it arrived with the regular non-hybrid manual.  I puzzled over the manual awhile before I realized I had the wrong one.  The standard manual says that the front hatch can be located by the pre-drilled holes.  On the hybrid the instructions are to position the hatch 12 inches back from the bow centered.  

���I've sorted the front hatch issue by designing and installing a round one. Next puzzle... does anyone know which, if any, of the deck forms are removed? I believe the 3rd one that matches with the 3rd hull form stays but the manual isnt clear. Thanks for the help!

I've built the Duckling, WD Double and a WD 12 Hybrid so I can't speak directly to the 14 deck forms, but the drawings look like the forward and aft bulkheads contact the deck so you should be able to remove all the deck forms. You can place the deck on the hull and see if this is the case. 

George K

���You're right George. Thanks!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.