Skerry sprit mast vs NED lug mast

My plans for the mast on the sprit sail Skerry calls for a 144 in mast. ( realize the sprit sits higher on the mast) The mast info from the NED manual calls for a 133 in mast for the lug sail. I thought I read somewhere the mast for each were 12 ft, Can anyone confirm the mast length for the balanced lugsail for the Skerry is really. 133in?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry sprit mast vs NED lug mast

According to the ad copy for the Skerry in the description of the sailing components for the lug rig, the Skerry lug rig uses the same mast as the stock sprit rig.

Laszlo

���Thanks Laz....I will go with the 144inches as per the Skerry Sprite plans. I hope to launch my yawl rigged expedition Skerry this Fall. dherry plans .

When I built my Skerry, CLC had not yet made up an addendum to the manual covering the lug sail option, so my kit came with a copy of the NED manual thrown in.  Reading the two manuals, I picked up the difference in mast height right away.  With the standard 144" mast and the lug sail hauled all the way up, the Skerry just didn't look right, and I seriously considered cutting the mast down by 11" or so.  Fortunately, the first day my wife came out with me she claimed a seat all the way in the bow, facing aft.  Turns out I need the full 144" mast in order to be absolutely certain the boom will clear her head under all conditions, appearances be damned!

hokker

Ah, yes, sweeping ones bride overboard with the boom during a gybe would not tend to foster marital harmony, methinks.  <;-)

Puts me in mind of that bit from James Mitchener's Chesapeake (I think) where the crew of a skipjack arranges to deliberately knock the new guy overboard by having the skipper call all hands on deck while the crew are below at mess so that the new guy, the ony one unaware of the scheme, jumps up the companionway hatch just as the skipper gybes, sweeping the poor fellow overboard with the massive boom into shallow water so he can bob ashore...far enough away that they'll cut him out of his share of the catch which they are about to land.  Only worked on the new guy, of course.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.