Outboard Position on Peeler

Pretty much finished my Peeler build and very well satisfied with the result. I decided on a Yamaha 9.9 outboard and ordered one with a long, 20", shaft. I have it temporarily mounted with the clamps to check the tilt angle and prop height. I notice that my cavitation plate is 1 1/4" lower than the bottom of the boat and with no shims the plate is dead level with the bottom of the boat. Manual recommends cav plate even with the bottom and suggests a negative tilt may be necessary. I cannot see shimming the motor mount up 1 1/4" and looks like a major shim to the motot mount to get a negative tilt. Anyone have experience with this set up? Thanks as always.

Charlie D

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Outboard Position on Peeler

My Peeler is my first experience with a power boat so I'm not sure how critical that positioning is. I have a 15hp Mercury and have the same inchish misalignment. I tried a negative tilt and didn't notice any improvement in handling.

I installed DolFin(sp?) stabilizers on the cavitation plates and it made a huge improvement in handling. They lessen the top end by about 5% but almost eliminate squat and make getting up on plane much easier. They are also very reasonable and are available through outlets like Bass Pro, West Marine etc. There are other trim tabs and vanes but these are probably the most economical and perform as advertised. 

Charles,

I have the same Yamaha F9.9 on my Peeler Skiff.. I do not think that you have a problem. I do not have them installed, but I second Catboater's recommendation of the Doel-fin stabilizers. Flat-bottomed outboard boats do tend to squat.

I had my motor professionally mounted (thru-bolted) and have not regretted it. If it's not too expensive where you live, it will give you peace of mind that it's mounted correctly.

The Peeler is a great boat. I launched mine in 2015 and use it on Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island (a mile or so from Catboater). It has become a summer centerpiece for my whole family. Best money and time I ever spent. Look out, striped bass!

Cheers,

Dick 

Catboater,

I just ordered my Doel-fins (< $30 on Amazon). Thanks for the reminder.  

Stay safe,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.