How much is a finished Annapolis Wherry worth?

I have a completed Annapolis Wherry, varnished interior/Interlux exterior. Custom Inlays. Carbon Fiber oars. All in great shape.  What's it worth? 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How much is a finished Annapolis Wherry worth?

the short answer is, its worth what someone will pay you for it.

i sold a nicely built wherry almost 20 years ago for $3,500 but i considered that very lucky.   i had somebody who really liked it and $3,500 was easy for him.

most built boats if done well may recover the cost of the kit.   labor very rarely gets rewarded in this game and its simply difficult to sell a wood/epoxy boat.  there are just not a lot of buyers to create any kind of easy-to-understand price.

you can post it on the classified section and see what you get

h

I'd be interested in giving you an offer.  Where are you located? ~C

I am in WIsconsin, about an hour NW of Madison.  J

I built a tandem Annapolis Wherry several years go. I used it heavily for a couple of years and then decided to sell it because I had finished my Welsford Navigator, and I didn't have room in my garage for 2 boats on trailers. Sold it for $4000 in 10 minutes on Craigslist. True story. 

The wherry was my very first wood project (what? no bird house??), not to mention my first ever boat-building project. Needless to say, my wherry, although serviceable was ... workman-like ... in her finish. I thought I'd post her up on Craigslist for $4000 to see if there were any takers. Within 10 minutes I got an e-mail from a guy asking if she was still for sale. Said he'd pay asking price, sight unseen, and come pick her up. At first I thought this was one of those nigerian scam artists going to ask me to send him a cashier's check or something dumb like that. So I ignored. Next day I got another email from the same guy asking if she was still available and gave me a phone number to call because he was serious. I said what the heck. Sure enough, the guy sent me $4000 in a check in the mail. I deposited it and it cleared. About 3 or 4 days later he called and said his guy was gonna stop by and collect the boat. His cousin pulled up in a van trailing a rack of rowing shells (including ANOTHER Tandem Wherry -- much nicer than mine I might add!). 

So as it turns out, the guy who bought it is the owner of Adirondack Rowing, an outfit in upstate NY that rents boats, trains people in rowing, and buys and sells all manner of rowing craft. He told me he's always on the lookout for Annapolis Wherries because they're a great row-training boat. If you're serioius about selling, check out his website and give him a call. www.adirondackrowing.com

I've attached pics of my boat that he bought. I have no idea what yours is worth. But that's what I got for what I made and used.

BTW... I live in Wisconsin too. Elm Grove.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188460370@N08/50014192861/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188460370@N08/50013662593/in/dateposted-public/

Workman-like in her finish? . . . if you say so. I'd say you did a lovely job.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.