ripples in glass

I just finished a mostly successful applicaiton of fiberglass cloth and first coat of epoxy on the hull of my Chesapeake 17LT.   But on a two-foot section of a bottom panel, I have some mild ripples -- floating, I think, that happend when the epoxy I was applying had started to kick.  The ripples are solid, with no air bubbles.   Question:  I there some way to deal with them now, or do I wait until I complete the next two fill coats?   I'm worrked about sanding into to the fabric if I try to flatten them out.  (I tired to post a picture, but not sure if that was successful...)

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: ripples in glass

Generally, perfect glass application isn't a necessity. If you sand into and burn through a glass ripple in the middle of a panel, there's only a couple possible problems.

If the ripple is along a seam, that's not a good one to sand through. Since the wood is obviously discontinuous there, the joint relies on the glass and epoxy.

With a CH, if the ripple is lengthwise in the middle/widest part of the bottom panel, it's possible the panel won't handle the weight of a foot stepping through the cockpit opening. Cross-wise ripples have the underlying wood grain running lengthwise, so it's strong enough to support feet. (I did two layers of glass on the bottom panel inside, since my local river is rocky- I was more worried more about punctures inward, than rupturing outward...)

Another hypothetical worry is that the area that is sanded through is fractionally less abrasion resistant than the area with intact glass. You'll still have full thickness epoxy where the ripple was, so only those special rocks that are deflected by glass but too rough for epoxy will ever be a problem.

And the last maybe problem is that glass that's been sanded into or through reflects light a little differently than perfect glass. If you take pride in the perfect chatoyance of your kayak's bottom, then this blunder will haunt you endlessly.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.