Sketchbook

If you like to fantasize about boats, you'll enjoy gazing at dreamy boats in the new Sketchbook section of this website: https://www.clcboats.com/sketchbook/

I'm no longer even a fan of big powerboats, but Dillon's sketches of Lex had me drooling.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sketchbook

Yeah, that's  great new feature. Used to be that I'd have to go to the head at CLC to see those (for those that never had the opportunity, they print and hang boat designs as decorations on the bathroom walls there, a few which have made it into production), but what with the Plague that's been impossible for a while. Not only is this more convenient, but we also get some back story on the boats.

As for the current crop of Sketchbook boats, John's contributions look to me as if he was possessed by the spirit of Bolger (quite an honor) who'd thought of a few more designs for a posthumous addendum to Boats with an Open Mind. In fact, it's interesting to compare John's Endurance Rowing Boat to Bolger's #13 Cruising Rowboat.

For me, of course, the first thing I looked at was John's Faering Cruiser. While the common heritage is there, they're such different boats that there's no real comparison. The loss of the rowing capability, the gain of the 1000 lb keel and the center cabin make them two completely different boats.

With Dillon's boats, that Shanty Boat struck me as a bit scary. Imagine, if you will, being moored close to shore on the Severn or South Rivers and dozing in the loft bed, when a cigarette boat goes screaming up the center of the river. When that wake makes it in towards shore and hits the shanty boat broadside on, that loft bed some 7' above the water will not be the most comfortable place in the world.

Jasper's Boat is the Majoros design that really calls to me, even if it would need to be strip built (it sort of looks as if some of the curves wouldn't make it with S&G).

One last comment - just as pro athletes need to exercise their bodies with workouts that civilians may not recognize as connected to their pro sport, designers need to let their minds stretch and stay in shape with creative mental workouts, so I don't see why the intro has to attempt to justify working on these designs. These are every bit as much important work as the Outrigger Junior manual (though not the WD t-shirt) because without this the minds will dry up and the important work will cease.

I'm just happy that it's now being shared with us.

Laszlo

But, But, Laszlo, getta load of those fins! The 1959 Cadillac - O - Shanty!
He’s a genius. Mad as a hatter but genius.

���The shanty boat looks better than most of the house boats on the bayous near Lake Wimico, Florida. They are usually back in the swamp away from the waves on he ICW.

So I was looking at the sketchbook again and noticed that John's Seabrook 10 has sleeves instead of lashings, sail tracks, hoops, etc. That's an interesting concept. It gets rid of an entire class of issues with bending the sail to the yard and boom, as well as controlling the shape of the sail. Since it's a balanced lug rig it's still possible to reef it, even with the sleeves. With the right quick disconnect hardware, it would be possible to leave the sail attached to the spars and remove the sail, yard and boom as a unit from the mast. A couple of ties would let you conveniently store them ready for quick setup and use.

What a practical idea. I wonder what the difference in price with a grommeted sail would be.

Laszlo

I leave our Passagemaker Dinghy lug sail attached to the yards.  Seems the best thing to do with a small one like this.  As Laszlo says, a few ties to bundle it up keeps it out from underfoot for rowing.  I have no hardward on the yards, attachments being done with soft loops of small diameter rope.  I wrap the bundle in a painter's drop cloth (with more ties, or maybe a chain hitch with the halyard, for transport and storage.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.