Shearwater re-varnish- Need new fiberglass or resin?

Hi, long absence from Forum. Built my Shearwater Sport 2+ years ago, and have used it pretty regularly in Florida, N Carolina and Tennessee. I've not babied it, as you can see from the photos I will try to postLots of scratching on the keel line fore and aft, so much that the fiberglass cloth is visible now, even though you can't feel the fabric. There are three layers of cloth on the keel, no visible cracks or faults in the structure. I want to lightly sand the boat and revarnish with Interlux, but wonder if I should add any resin or another layer of fiberglass along the keel? Any ideas or experience along these lines will be appreciated! Thanks, John Phillips

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater re-varnish- Need new fiberglass or resin?

Sand it and then check for depth of the scratches is usually what I do. If they are into the fabric I'll remove the rest of the varnish in the area and at least epoxy it.  But normally mine is just the varnish.  I do have a couple of oyster shell cuts that went all the way into the wood. But that is rare. 

That really doesn't loot too bad. 

Thaks Grumpy, those are good suggestions, and I'm heading for the sndpaper and varnish. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.