Green pressure-trearted wood and epoxy?

Greetings,

I know one doesn't use green pressure-treated wood in boatbuilding, but after building my Pocketchip, a CLC kayak, and my Nesting Eastport Pram, this forum is my go-to site for all things epoxy.

Does anyone have experience or advice on using thickened epoxy to glue scarfed joints in 1x8 green pressure-treated planks?  I'm trying to make edging for my wife's raised garden beds with "fair" borders.

Thanks in advance.  Stay well and safe.

Mark

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Green pressure-trearted wood and epoxy?

Pressure treated wood from the big box stores is usually pretty wet from the pressure treatment. I wouldn't expect it to epoxy or glue worth a darn unless you stacked it and let it air dry for several months.

GL-10 epoxy is supposed to work on wet wood, but the salts used for improving rot resistance may suggest some testing first to gain any respect for bonding durability.

Others like SystemThree recommend using their product on treated wood that's been allowed to dry to more typical moisture content, while also mentioning the salt issue.

If you're thinking MAS I'd contact their technical support folks for their recommendations.

Be careful of the CCA treated stuff.  The sawdust is toxic and nver burn the scrap wood.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.