Interlux Yellow paint coverage.

I will paint my Sea Island Sport hull yellow. I will use a white pre kote and sand that down a bit.  Has anyone used yellow? CLC says 4 or 5 coats? I have used white at 3 coats with awesome results.  I really do not want to buy 2 quarts and then not use one. Again I do not want to buy one and have to get another one and and pay for it and shipping. It is the 60 dollar question.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Interlux Yellow paint coverage.

Hi Anthony, 

paint iss different than varnish in the sense of more coats beyond it looking good does not offer further protection.

so if three coats looks great.  save the rest of your paint for touch-ups.  i have one yellow boat...and it took me a couple extra coats to hide some underlying blotches i was trying to hide.

h

Yellow finish coat over well-applied then carefully sanded white primer ought to work OK with a single coat if it's applied carefully, not brushed out too much.

I'm not familiar with the SIS hull but @ ~ 16' a quart should easily do one coat top & bottom, two if deck's not painted also.

Hi Anthony, 

i read your question again, and realize i did not really read it carefully....and you have not started the painting yet.

that said, i think one quart carefully applied should do the trick if it is just the sides/bottoms.   my yellow boat is a Chesapeake 17 Kayak and a sea-island sport is about the same and possibly even less area based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations.

i also use white pre-kote but i am careful to sand most of it off...so its only filling pin holes and to get a smooth finish....its not a primer/undercoat...in fact leaving too much of it on makes for a very fragile paint.

as i mentioned, the challenge will be if you have a blotchy surface underneath (darks and lights).   covering these can require a number of coats particularly if you are doing thin coats that make the best finish.

i have not used white paint before so i don't know how yellow compares to white in terms of its opacity....but one quart of yellow should do the trick.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.