How much round over on bow and stern - Shearwater Sport

Ok I'm just about ready to glass my hull and deck of my Shearwater Sport but what's a good visual or tactile reference to a 1/4 inch round over at bow and stern and deck to hull joint ? 

thanks

Tom

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How much round over on bow and stern - Shearwater Sport

A pencil.

George K 

A dime, at bow, stern, and shear.

George's pencil (1/8"r) works for the shallow angled joints, like the deck to shear and deck to cockpit rim, if you don't want to break through the top veneer as you sand. 

Tom,

The real goal is what radius you can get the glass to follow. If the radius is too tight the glass might lift off the wood as it tries to make the bend, and if it does lift off the wood the glass will be very weak. If you like the smaller radius better, try a practice run with some scrap wood, and scrap glass and see what you can get to work.

The second concern is personal preference. Some folks like big radii and others like small. Enjoy!!

Joel

Tom,

The real goal is what radius you can get the glass to follow. If the radius is too tight the glass might lift off the wood as it tries to make the bend, and if it does lift off the wood the glass will be very weak. If you like the smaller radius better, try a practice run with some scrap wood, and scrap glass and see what you can get to work.

The second concern is personal preference. Some folks like big radii and others like small. Enjoy!!

Joel

Thanks everyone 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.