Outrigger Junior Cost and some Data

I ordered the study plans.

How much to build a complete boat with the various kits and other required supplies?

Any plan on when the manual will be ready?

Righting moment is claimed to be better than a commercial catamaran. Which cat was used for comparison. What is the righting moment for port and starboard?

Is there a materials list available?

Any actual numbers available for performance? Speed vs wind speed, for tacking, reaching, and running?

Any suggestions on how to trailer without dissassembling the boat? I.E., alternate builds of the aka's.

Why is the aft end of the boom so high in the sky.

Thanks, Marc

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Outrigger Junior Cost and some Data

If you look on the Pro Kits tab you will see the costs for the various kit options. Or you could enter outrigger junior in the search tab. If you email CLC you should be able to get the materials list if you're building from plans.

The boat, as designed, is 12 feet wide so trailering a set up unit would be problematic.

The boom rides high to provide clearence when tacking, improve visability and, with the foreward tilting mast, helps keep the boom out of the water when running down wind. 

This is the full extent of my knowledge of the OJ but I would really like to sail one.

PPS: It's on sale this weekend.

Catboater,

The price for a kit is nowhere near the price to finish a boat.

Even I can read what is already on the kit page.

Doesn't actually look like this boat is a priority for Chesapeake, even when their business must be slow.

I was really hoping for an answer from the company.

Marc 

This forum is mostly for customers, the CLC staff reply here very infrequently.  They are, however, VERY responsive to either email or phone calls, I suggest that you contact them directly.

The OJ is one of several wonderful designs that CLC developed but for economic reasons decided not to produce their normal detailed (and very costly) build manual.  Plans and kits for the OJ (and other Prokit designs) are available but it is unlikely that a detailed build manual ever will be. 

Nobody can really answer your cost question because it depends.  Are you an experienced builder with a fully stocked shop and all the tools that you need?  What type of finish level are you going for, workboat or show-boat?  Do you already have all the other gear required to equip the boat or will you have to buy?  Honestly, the cost of all the extras could be as much as the kit cost itself.

For some perspective, two years ago I completed a 15’ Goat Island Skiff.  Previously I had built 7 kayaks, so I was reasonably experienced and my shop well stocked.  I spent $1000 on a trailer, $400 on title/license/registration of boat and trailer, $500 on rigging, $750 on paint/primer/varnish/graphics, $1000 on other gear (oars, bumpers, lines, flares, hiking stick, hatches, bailers, hatches, spar bags, PFDs, etc).  The biggest surprise is what you will spend on consumables like paint brushes, rollers, tape, gloves, sandpaper, mixing cups, etc.  $1000 on consumables for a complicated build like the OJ is not unreasonable.

I've built 9 kayaks of various types, two rowing catamarans, and rebuilt 2 sailboats.

Im' reminded of why I don't come to these amature input sites. I was looking for knowlegeable input.

Forget it. Last time I contacted Chesapeake I was told they could not give me build scantlings for a kayak. If they can't then who can?

FYI, their answer was "it depends". just like the last post.

I am going to assume that the performance/ utility of the Outrigger Jr was not good enough to assume it would be a popular kit.

Marcup I invite you to join the forum at Woodenboat.com. You may find what you seek amongst those who post there.

So have I got this right, marcup? You paid all of $1 for the study plans and you've built enough boats so that you should have a pretty good idea about what would be involved in building the Outrigger Junior. But you are pissed off that you can't get a materials list without forking over a bit more money for a full set of plans. And you somehow seem to blame those of us on this forum as amateurs lacking in knowledge. Thanks.

By the way, spclark, your Goat Island Skiff is a lovely boat. I bet it's a blast to sail!

"By the way, spclark, your Goat Island Skiff is a lovely boat. I bet it's a blast to sail!"

Only in my dreams Birch2, only in my dreams! But thanks for the compliment!

I think that beauty belongs to Mark_N, a more experienced sailior and shipwright than I can claim to be.

BUT maybe some time soon I'll have my Waterlust canoe far enough along to get it christened, if only under Mirage-power at the get-go. Stay tuned!

Birch/Spclark - Thanks for the Goat complements.  It is a great design that is a blast to sail.  It came out pretty well even though I am a mere amature unfit to give boat building advice!

I will say that I love the GIS and have no regrets building it, but had the Jimmy Skiff II been available at the time, I would have gone with that design because of the side seating.  No doubt that the JS2 is a bit slower though.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.