Skerry Raid Build

Hi All -

Started building my Expedition Skerry about 6 weeks ago.  Doing mostly small jobs in the basement until the weather warms up, but starting to make some progress. 

Put together a facebook group for pictures and such if anyone is interested.  Will try to post a few here as well once I figure it out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2491021857828907/

Steve.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Raid Build

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the group and hope you enjoy the first adventure - building the boat.

Unfortunately, those of us without a facebook account can't see your pictures since fb demands that we log in to view them.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Excellent point - Sharing a few photos below and will try to keep this thread up to date as well.  Certian that i'll have about a million questions as we go through this build. First one - how the heck do i rotate photos?

Basic Progress - Since I will have limited assembly time in the garage, i wanted to get as much done in teh basement as possible.  The boat will not fit out of the basement assembled (2" too wide!).  Have been doing little things like impgrenation coats of epoxy, joining the panels, etc. 

Added some holes to the deck knees for tying off floatation bags if needed. 

Centerboard Trunk Modifications - Added two cheeks and a stainless steel pivot, as well as bronze bearings in the centerboard and trunk sides.  The stainless pivot is threaded in to a captive nut. 

And a couple more photos...

Had several of the puzzle joints arrive broken - mostly the thin ones on the panels with pre-cut gains.  Repaired with some thickened epoxy - and seems to be just as strong (or stronger) than the original!

First Fillet - initial application, then wiped down an hour or so later with a little alchohol on my glove.  Turned out OK!

Steve, thanks for the photos. I'm not sure how they turned out rotated, but the weird thing is that if I right-click and open just the image in a new tab it's oriented correctly.

So looking at your build -  it looks as if it's going well, good workmanship. Too bad about the exit size, I feel your pain.

I'm a bit concerned about your CB trunk modifications. If I'm reading it correctly, you've got a bronze fitting in contact with a stainless steel pivot. Have you checked if the particular bronze that you're using is close enough to stainless steel on the galvanic series so that they won't corrode away in salt water?

Have fun,

Laszlo

This is why we need Laszlo! 

"Have you checked if the particular bronze that you're using is close enough to stainless steel on the galvanic series so that they won't corrode away in salt water?"

Laszlo,

Thanks for the input, and you are right - an exceptional point that I definitely did not take in to account. Simple bronze bearings from the local hardware store, and a 304 stainless pin will absolutely have galvanic corrosion issues in salt water.  Thinking on this - maybe I start to consider the modification as proof of concept for a removable but overbuilt centerboard system - and if it works as I Hope - I can mill a matching bronze pivot pin.  My main use for the boat will be the local lake for day sailing - so shouldn't be a major issue for at least the first year or more. 

Best laid plans...

Steve.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.