beveling edges on wood with epoxy coating

I am coming back to a shearwater build I started a few years back. Working from plans, I have parts cut, we put first coat of epoxy on prior to bevelign edges on bulkheads. With raw wood I'd use a plane for beveling, with the epoxy on the wood I am thinking sander or hand sanding. 

Would welcome any advice.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: beveling edges on wood with epoxy coating

I used a plane on mine, gave a sharp edge and good final fit  as opposed to sanding. You are not planing too much and my blade had no problem.

I used a small plane, but could have problem with a large hand plane on such a thin piece of wood.

Anthony in Bosoton

Either would work but I would go with a plane first as opposed to raising epoxy dust from the sander. The epoxy is a little harder on the blade requiring more sharpening. 

Definately use the plane so that you get a flat surface on the bevel.  Using sand paper will leave the edge rounded.

First, I'm a big fan of planes- I have at least half as many as Mark...

When I built a Shearwater (and some Wood Duck Doubles), I decided to set up a bevel cutting fixture for a trim router. I used a tilt-base router and put a fence on it, but 30degree bevel cutters (cnc sign engraving, 60 degree point, no bearing) are cheap and available. I adjusted the fence (strip o wood screwed time router baseplate) so that 1/32" of the panel was left square, so there wasn't a feather edge. About 30 degress bevel works for almost all the joints, except near the bow where some extra material needs to be planed away. A slightly open V joint inside is filled by the fillets, and the 1/32" V on the outside disappears when the corners are sanded.

Just another way to approach the bevels...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.