Clean 3M 2091 respirator filter

Are there any recommended techniques to clean 3M respirator filters?  I have filters that were used for boatbuilding / dust protection and was thinking I might need to re-use them for Coronavirus purposes.  New filters are generally not avaiable for purchase at this time.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Clean 3M 2091 respirator filter

Good question....

I'm guessing that simply washing them on a machine/gentle cycle (cool water, mild liquid laundry detergent) ought to have some positive effect but may reduce filtration efficacy to an unknown degree. Their P-series AEM technology may not stand up to washing.

I stumbled on a 24-count pack of 6001 cartridges last October before I began my project. I'm down to 8 remaining, not including the pair I'm using now. Tried to find more - at any kind of reasonable price (and $25/pair seems out of line when that 24-pack cost me like $11/pair, delivered free) last night, with no luck whatsoever....

And to add an update to my previous post:

I've received an e-mail from the vendor that sold me those two dozen 6001 cartridges last October.

"HELLO STEPHEN,

THERE IS A MAJOR ISSUE GOING ON RIGHT NOW. BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE 3M IS NO LONGER SELLING ANY KIND OF FACE RELATED MATERIALS TO ANYONE OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT AND MEDICAL. SADLY WE CANNOT GET IN THESE CARTRIDGES DUE TO THAT. ALSO THAT PRICE IS CRAZY LOW! IT IS WELL BELOW OUR COST ON THESE. IM SORRY WE CANT HELP YOU AT THE MOMENT. HOPEFULLY AFTER THIS ALL PASSES, 3M IS EXPECTING TO START SELLING THESE ITEMS TO EVERYONE AGAIN IN JUNE."

I'm not gonna hold my breath over that last comment...

I'm in the opposite situation. Now that the weather is finally warming up, I'll soon have a lot of sanding to do on my WR18 build and I can't get sanding masks for love or money. I don't need medical grade stuff, but the panicked hordes have bought out all the dust masks and the manufacturers are concentrating (quite rightly) on manufacturing medical supplies.

I have one set of unused VOC filters for epoxy, varnish and painting and a used set from 2013 that's no good for VOC anymore. When I closed down for winter I had thought of restocking then, but decided to just do that in the upcoming spring. Ha!

So I guess I'll be working outdoors when it's not raining. At least gloves are still available.

Laszlo

HEPA grade vacuum cleaner bags can be sewn into remarkably effective dust masks. Google the youtubes for numerous tutorials.
Make sure you’re working with HEPA bags though. I’ve considered using pleated HEPA shop vac filter material too.

If you look around a bit you can find interesting info on particulate matter (PM), and filtering efficacy of various media. Because physics is super weird it’s easier to capture .1 micron particles than .3 micron. If you get a mesh for PM 2.5 you’ll be in pretty good shape. I’m not providing any links, you’re on your own for info and suitability for use decisions.

FWIW, PM 2.5 is a criteria pollutant because particles this small and smaller get in deep and wreak horrible damage on your lungs.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.