New maintenance, repair and custom projects department

For those of you who live close enough to Annapolis to make it worthwhile, you might want to consider taking advantage of CLC's new maintenance, repair and custom projects services. I just had the bottom on Hvit Skygge (AKA Faering Cruiser #1) worked on and I can't be happier with the results. Andrew replaced a temporary patch I had over a trailer ding with a permanent invisible one and then did a thoroughly professional job masking and painting the bottom. It looks better than at any time I've owned the boat (I bought it used). The price was fair and the work was done quickly.

Now I know that as real boatbuilders we're supposed to do our own work, but sometimes it's just better to let the pros do it. In this case, the boat and trailer are 8 feet too long to fit in my garage, the weather is too cold for epoxy and/or paint and the existing bottom paint produced toxic dust that I am not equipped to safely and legally deal with. Plus, rolling the boat solo would have required some heroics.

This way, the work was done in plenty of time for Spring sailing, the environment is safe and I avoided a hernia. Check out the Instagram videos to see 10 people flip a boat.

Laszlo

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: New maintenance, repair and custom projects department

For those further south, there is Lowell Boats in Greensboro, NC.  They are currently touching up two CLC boats, one of which is mine.  Gary Lowell is the real McCoy.  He  grew up in Maine and periodically returns to teach courses at WoodenBoat School.  I once asked him how he came to have a classic wooden boat shop landlocked in piedmont NC.  "Just lucky I guess" was his only reply.  His customers are the lucky ones.

Wooden boat building and maintenance was going to be my empty nest hobby.  After buying a wooden sailboat and halfway through building my Skerry, we ended up adopting another child to raise.  A much better project, to be sure, but it severely limits my garage time, so I'm thankful to have a good place to maintain my boats.

I have a friend who built a boat with his son years ago.  They are both very sad that she no longer exists because they did not maintain her.  DON'T BE THAT GUY!  Your CLC boat is an heirloom.  Treat her like one, even if you can't do the work yourself.

https://lowellboats.weebly.com/

Hooper

RE: New maintenance, repair and custom projects department

For those further south, there is Lowell Boats in Greensboro, NC.  They are currently touching up two CLC boats, one of which is mine.  Gary Lowell is the real McCoy.  He  grew up in Maine and periodically returns to teach courses at WoodenBoat School.  I once asked him how he came to have a classic wooden boat shop landlocked in piedmont NC.  "Just lucky I guess" was his only reply.  His customers are the lucky ones.

Wooden boat building and maintenance was going to be my empty nest hobby.  After buying a wooden sailboat and halfway through building my Skerry, we ended up adopting another child to raise.  A much better project, to be sure, but it severely limits my garage time, so I'm thankful to have a good place to maintain my boats.

I have a friend who built a boat with his son years ago.  They are both very sad that she no longer exists because they did not maintain her.  DON'T BE THAT GUY!  Your CLC boat is an heirloom.  Treat her like one, even if you can't do the work yourself.

https://lowellboats.weebly.com/

Hooper

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.