NED procedure question

I have finished filling the laps on the hull panels. The next major step is the outwales do I do the spacered inwales at the same time? On a related note would I do the dagger board trunk and the mast step at the same point in the build as skeg? Thinking through steps it makes sense. Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Larry

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NED procedure question

You can put the outwales on first then the spacered  inwales. It is possible to do them at the same time, an extra pair of hands would be helpful. As for the others, you can build them up any time. On the daggerboard trunk it's much easier to build it in steps; glue the spacers on one inside of the trunk, then when that's dried glue the other side on to sandwich them in between. When that's dry, glue on the chine logs. You can glue up everything at one time but parts have a tendency to slide around. It's much easier to keep it all square when glued up in steps. One thing you might consider doing for longevity of the daggerboard trunk is to fiberglass the insides before glueing everything up. You should have a couple pieces of scrap large enough to do that. 

George K

Thanks for the sugestions, I had figured that I would do the outwales first and then do the spacered inwales may put the quarter knees on first so that I can utilize a screw at the stern as at the bow to hold the outwales during install. I like your idea on building up the dagger board trunk, but was asking if they would be installed on my NED in the same time frame as the skeg. The assembly manuel does not integrate between the the main kit components. ie: hull/ rowing kit, sailing kit and spacered inwale kit. But as always all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Larry   

Sorry I didn't understand the original question! It really doesn't matter what order the mast step, daggerboard trunk and skeg as installed. All three are a bit easier with an extra pair of hands so if you have limited help that could be a deciding factor. That being said, it is entirely possible to install them yourself by using weights, bracing, clamps, etc., whatever will hold the parts in place while you drill and screw them on. There are some who don't use any fasteners for those parts and rely on the epoxy/fillets to hold them in place. That works, but I don't mind a few screws in my boats.

George K

Yes the daggerboard trunk, skeg and mast step will present a problem as my wife main helper when i need it is short not able to reach inside of boat to steady things i will probably have to resort to clamps and braces to secure things while attaching to boat.

Thanks Larry   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.