NED fillet and fiberglassing problems

Ok I got the filleting and fiberglassing done, in a 7 hr. long stint. It came out less than perfect. First when I went to smoth the fillets they had already hardened too much to smoth, not huge I can sand those going to paint interior anyway. fiberglassing went a little better looked good at first but when I checked back later had a bubble in the fiberglas at th #1 panel and the bottom panel joint.what can I do about that. I had a very tough day trying to get it all done by myself, but I will get through this.

Larry

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NED fillet and fiberglassing problems

Bubbles are easy.

1. Use a razor, razor knife, etc. to open up the bubble and remove the glass.

2. Sand the edges so that all loose glass is removed.

3. Apply a new piece of glass over the bare spot that completely covers the bare wood and overlaps the existing glass for about  2 inches all around the bare spot.

4. Once it's fully cured, sand the edges of the new glass patch so that it's smoothly feathered into the existing glass.

Do it carefully and the patch will be invisible, even under varnish.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Thanks, I was hoping there was a way forward.

Larry

Hey Larry, Laszlo is right of course. But... if you want to refine your technique have a look at this pic. I've cut a rectangle of glass and pulled the warp and weft threads away from the edges. This lets you feather the edges pretty nicely even before sanding. The problem with patching is pulling the threads out into big globs when you wet it out. I lay the glass on a piece of poly plastic sheet and drizzle a little epoxy on. Slap the glass/plastic on the area to patch and use a squeegee to mosh the epoxy around. The plastic prevents the threads from pulling out into big gobs and you can get a really tight bedding job and feather it out with minimal sanding. Leave plastic on until epoxy kicks.

Cheers,
e

Not happy with fillets? Apply new, slightly-larger fillets over the bad ones. The new fillets look nice, the boat gets stronger, everybody's happy.

I second Laszlo on the fiberglass bubble. 

And Silver Salt: Excellent. That's professional practice there.

Thanks for the suggestions I think with these ideas I will be able to make it look great.

Larry   

Thanks to Silver Salt I tried your Idea of the fiberglass patches and they worked great.

Larry   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.