rice paper...

I have read in this Forum that printed designs can be applied using rice paper as the base: apparently under epoxy the paper disappears and the print is left behind.   I have an ordinary home Canon ink-jet printer (Pixma MP 150) - suitable for this purpose?

Would appreciate advice...

Wordsmith

18 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: rice paper...

Nope. Unfortunately, it needs to be a laser printer. You need a toner that is set by heat, not by the evaporation of solvents. Epoxy causes solvent-based inks to smear.

Laszlo

It's a rare day when I disagree with Laszlo, but this is one of those days. I use an Epson inkjet and have never had a problem with the inks running or fading. I print the image in reverse on the back side of the paper, flip it over on the deck and put the cloth over it. A few coats of epoxy later there is no sign of the paper.

Hey Laszlo, see you in a week or so!

George K

Run a high liter over some printed text.  If it smears I doubt it will work.  Then do an actual test.

Kim

I just use my HP Office Jet and anyone who has seen my builds knows I put graphics all over them, never had a problem.

http://kayakkev.wordpress.com/category/wood-kayak/

KK

I stand corrected. I guess ink technology has improved since I bought my bubble jet printer.

George, looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I won't have the dinghy ready to launch until after O-fest unless I decide to just slap a sealing coat of epoxy over the fairing compound and call it the HMS Psoriasis. It's tempting to do just that and enter it into the beauty constest just to see the look on the judges' faces. On the other hand, it may be blotchy, but at least it's smooth.

Laszlo

Thanks, guys - lots of experience out there, as usual.   I'll run a little test before proceeding - just gotta lay my hands on some rice paper, which is like Unobtainium Down Here, it seems, unless wanted in industrial quantities!   KK - nice looking Redfish!

Wordsmith

Check shops that cater to the Asian community. Rice paper is commonly used in many Asian arts, painting, calligraphy, kite-making, lamps, screens, ....

FWIW, I've used rice paper with traditional Japanese sumi-e ink (water soluable) with good results. Of course, I tested the paper and ink I was planning to use on a piece of scrap before committing it to a boat. The paper I used (from rolls) was not perfectly transparent under epoxy and glass if you look at it closely. So I tried to cut closely to the edges of my design eliminating any large areas of blank paper. Your results may vary due to the differing qualities of the paper as much as  the type of ink.

--

Ogata (eric)

I tend to agree with Laszlo on this one...for the reasons he outlined plus the extreme image crispness that only a laser printer can provide on such delicate paper.  I use dress pattern paper. It becomes thoroughly transparent under epoxy.  I experimented with different printers. Referring to the following image -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/algonquinpaddler/471911898/sizes/o/in/set-72157594510381189/

the inkjet left the font as a solid fill when it was supposed to be etched as in the image and the detail in the moose was OK but nothing like I obtained with the laser printer. 

With the pattern paper secured firmly to regular copy paper with scotch tape and run through the laser printer, the image is as crisp as on your computer. With laser you don't have to print as a mirror image which can also take away from image detail.

Chris 

I tend to agree with Laszlo on this one...for the reasons he outlined plus the extreme image crispness that only a laser printer can provide on such delicate paper.  I use dress pattern paper. It becomes thoroughly transparent under epoxy.  I experimented with different printers. Referring to the following image -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/algonquinpaddler/471911898/sizes/o/in/set-72157594510381189/

the inkjet left the font as a solid fill when it was supposed to be etched as in the image and the detail in the moose was OK but nothing like I obtained with the laser printer. 

With the pattern paper secured firmly to regular copy paper with scotch tape and run through the laser printer, the image is as crisp as on your computer. With laser you don't have to print as a mirror image which can also take away from image detail.

Chris 

Wordsmith, just to add my 2 cents, I had the same question as you last year.  The best way to use rice paper (IMHO) is to print the image in reverse on the rice paper, then apply it to the surface UPSIDE DOWN, so your image reads or looks "right", upside down.  Whether you use ink jet or laser (and both smear by the way because it happened to me on both types) by placing the printed image upside down to the surface, when you squeegee epoxy over it, you don't smear the image because it's on the other side!  Trust me, it works.  It took me a half dozen trials before the dawn's early light finally hit me.  Good Luck!  best,.  bob h

Thanks for the words of advice and assistance, guys!   I finally managed to track down a sheet of rice-paper – it was rather thicker than I’d imagined, but I guess there are probably various grades.  

I printed the wording on the Pixma bubble-jet, with the printer setting on “high quality”.   The paper was then gently laid onto a piece of pre-wetted ply and epoxy gently brushed over it – this was just a test, of course, as detailed by you.   I went a half-step further, and using a single-edged razor blade gently ‘squeegeed’ along the printed piece to remove excess epoxy and leave a finer surface finish for subsequent coats.    

Checking this morning after the epoxy had cured, the print is fine, absolutely no trace of smudging or bleeding, nice and crisp!   I used a small 16 pitch print, and nice simple Lucida Calligraphy typeface – it looks rather swish and tasteful!   There is the faintest white shadow from the paper - I cut out around the words as closely as

possible - but that’s quite tolerable as the message will only be a few inches long and maybe ½” wide at the most, and will sit around the inside of the cockpit coaming.    I’m not putting the Book of Lists onto the craft – just giving a nod to the designer and builder as follows: ‘shearwater 17’ – designed by eric schade 2005 – hand-crafted by xx – 2009 So again, thanks for the help given – another successful collaboration!   Now I’d better get on with the craft itself – just about to start the stitching. Wordsmith

i use canon ink jet printwer. it is simple and the print outs are fast. the ink is cheaper. actually i am using one the cartridge of my canon printer iscli-8c . print outs are good and in high quality.

i use canon ink jet printwer. it is simple and the print outs are fast. the ink is cheaper. actually i am using one the cartridge of my canon printer is cli-8c . print outs are good and in high quality.

I bought a roll of rice paper at Michael's.  I've used both ink jets and color laser printers but prefer lasers because of the crisper images.  

I also print my images "inverted" on the rice paper to eliminate smearing from the squeegee.  I suggest trimming the rice paper in a cloud-like pattern (avoid straight cuts) to minimize the appearance of the paper edge.

You may want to use a specialty ink for this purpose (versus just a regular inkjet cartridge).  Many cartridges come in both dye and pigment styles.  I'd recommend reaching out to a company like Castle Ink - they can probably steer you in the right direction in terms of the type of ink you need for this.

FWIW,

I am not involved with this company in any way but they do supply Rice paper for surfboards.  I have used them for supplies (for surfboards) and have no complaints about shipping or quality.

http://www.greenlightsurfsupply.com/surfboard-graphics-color.aspx

This company supply rice paper and the best thing about this company is a dedication and maintaining the quality of rice paper. Nice website. I also have a website which is quite different from your website because we provide you best support like HP Printer Support so that you can talk to our experts and solve your problems.

If you don't have the printer you need, you can borrow it. I'm sure your acquaintances or those around you have it. Don't ruin anything, I wish you good luck!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.