WD12 - Okoume or Sapele Deck?

I'm planning to build a WD12 this winter/spring and trying to decide which deck to choose.  Sapele is pretty, but Okoume ain't bad looking either.  The Okoume deck uses 4mm, Sapele uses 3.  Sapele is described as stiffer, which might make the 3mm more on par with 4mm Okoume?  No clue.

Can anyone comment on differences if any in durability or other qualities that might not be obvious from looking at pictures?

Thanks in advance for any input,

- Bob

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD12 - Okoume or Sapele Deck?

I built mine with the sapele deck 10 years ago and it's still going strong, so I'd say that any differences in durability don't matter in this application.

Personally, I think that the sapele deck deck and okoume hull combination is very beautiful, much more striking than all okoume. That wild red grain really emphasizes the fact that it's a wooden boat and the simple faceted deck gives it a sculptural shape that results in a visual presence that even the most complex strip pattern of a hybrid deck can't hope to achieve. It's elegant through simplicity and the sapele only enhances that quality.

Elegant materials, simply prepared and properly presented - it works for great chefs and boatbuilders alike.

Laszlo

Yeah, the okoume I got to build my Passagemaker with looks like poplar, so if you're looking for a spectacular bright finish, go with sapele.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm planning on a varnished deck and painted hull.  I would prefer to leave the sheer panels bright too with paint starting below the sheer.  My next point to ponder is whether it will look odd to have a Sapele deck, Okoume sheer panels, and paint elsewhere.  I could do Sapele sheer panels too - but there doesn't seem to be a way to layout both the deck and sheer panels from a single sheet of Sapele.  Of course, I could just buy two sheets of Sapele.  I could also paint the sheer panels but I'm not fond of that look. 

Mainly I'm just thinking out loud here, but I welcome input and ideas!

Bob,

How far up the hull are you painting? I "painted" the bottom panels with graphite/epoxy mix for protection and left everything else as natural wood. The deck is sapele, the rest is okoume and it ended up looking like this:

The okoume gives a light background for a very strong contrast with the bottom and a complement with the deck. It would not have worked painted black all the way to the sheer, but maybe a black bottom and a painted side that is approximately the same tone as okoume would work.

Laszlo

Building a Wood Duck 12

That's gorgeous Laszlo!  I was thinking of painting the sides too, but I like what you have going on there.

Have you considered a WD hybrid instead from what I see it does not have the sheer panel only bottom, side and deck. Something I'm trying to decide on myself for neater color transitions and also I'm planning a CLC sailrig so I think the sheer panels also make an awkward mount. I'm hoping to do a 14 one or the other but also considering the Mill Creek 13 just don't like the cockpit shape there.

TBH I like the look of the regular deck better.  I just ordered materials and did get a sheet of Sapele. 

I considered the MC 13 too, but I like the way the WD paddles, especially in a cross breeze.

By regular you mean with sheer panel?
 I'm building by kit so I wonder if they would do the hybrid design without the sheer panel but either sapele or okoume deck in place of cedars strips. My first build and I really don't want to get involved in strip building. But looking to avoid the sheer panel for purpose of the sailrig mounting. Unable to find any pictures of a rig mounted to a duck with sheer panels. I'm sure it can be done but I'd like to see how first.

Thanks PP

Another thing to keep in mind is that the interior volume of the hybrid is slightly less than that of the S&G model. The facets of the S&G gives a bit more interior space above the waterline than for the hybrid. Since it's above the waterline, it doesn't affect the boat's weight capacity, but if you're trying to get something bulky in there (camping gear, feet, etc.) the S&G may be a better choice.

Laszlo

yeah, by "regular" I mean the plywood (non hybrid) deck.  I don't mind the sheer panels, and given the wider beam of the WD, I'm sure it cuts down on the how often you'll bonk the boat with your paddle.

I too have questions about how to mount the sail rig (I started a separate thread about that).   I'm guessing CLC has thought about it since the WD 12 is called out as maybe a preferred pairing (if you had to choose only one boat) - so what say you CLC?  Any tips on how to mount a WD to the sail rig?

If you don't like the look of SS and have a modicum of basic metalworking skills, you can do a lot of fabricating using sheet and/or rod bronze. It's not cheap but can be silver-soldered easily or brazed (with proper equipment and some experience) and is vastly easier to work with hand tools compared to steel or stainless steel. Brass is available too but may be too soft for structural uses and besides it doesn't last long in salt water exposures.

For instance: http://Easy-to-Form 220 Bronze, 0.125" Thick https://www.mcmaster.com/88825K118

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.