Sailfish

Has anyone here built a Sailfish? Have plans for one? I have a soft spot for this boat. 

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sailfish

I learned to sail on one.  A plywood one my aunt built from a kit back in the early '60s, complete with the original cotton sail.  I think the plans are out there on the 'net somewhere.  There is a yahoo group that may have a set on file, but go quick because yahoo is shutting down their groups soon.

Seems to have had a following 40 - 50+ years ago... now what links I've found mostly don't go anywhere but <404 - page not found> sadly.

Still, maybe this will help restore that soft spot? A bit bigger but looks to carry a similar birthright.

Sailfish about to come in 2nd at the MASCF 2019 a few weeks ago. The boat with the blue deck on the left came in 1st, the one to the right of it looked as if it was going to finish 2nd, right until the last 10 seconds when the Sailfish came flying in from the outside and beat it across the finish line. The boat type is still a contender.

BTW, at the opening of the video, it's centered on the Guider 2.0 which has just rounded the marker.

Laszlo

Hey CLC! I see an opportunity here!   

Lovely collection of small sailboats, but I didn't see a Sailfish. There was, however, a Sunfish up front. A very similar boat, but with a small open cockpit. I think Sunfish are still being built.

It's moving too fast to see :-)

You're absolutely right - I got confused by the similar names and the excitement of the finish.

Laszlo

Why not rig up a Kaholo 14 foot with a sail, centerboard and rudder? Certainly someone here is crafty enough to figure out the reinforcements needed.   

Sitting here having coffee, I did a small search.  Wikipaedia has info on the sailfish.  There is a blue print (blue backround, white lines) with the offsets and measurments.  Hard for me to see when enlarged.  Aooarently came from Yahoo Sailfish groups.  Might want to quickly sign up and do a search.  A sailfish was my second boat, at age 8, after a Clark Craft pram.  Super Sailfish was third boat.  Now 65 years later, I aquired a Sunfish, to get back to real fun sailing. 

I'm lookin at one Wikipedia entry on Sailfish, don't see that blueprint. Can you put up a URL for it maybe?

I did find this about a restoration project with one as the subject, with LOTS of pictures! 

Best I can do.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_(sailboat)   

Got it! Thanks!

That blueprint is under the tab labeled "Evolution".

Pretty thorough explanation of where that image was sourced from accompanies it farther down the page.

My guess is that RiccardoL's best chance is somehow to find somebody somewhere who built one of these & maybe - just maybe - might have kept the plans all this time.

Check out Glen-L Marine's boat plans for their 12' Buckboard. Their version of the sailfish. 

George K

Here are three available sets of plans for the Sailfish and other board boats.

The August 2019 issue of Small Boats Monthly has an article on the Super Saifish which also includes two pages of plans for the smaller Sailfish. You may need a subscription from Woodenboat.

If you ask Mr. Google you should be able to find a set of plans published by Boys  Life in 1958 for the Sailin’ Surfboard. 11’6” version.

You can also check with Mr. Google for Mechanics Illustrated  1964   Funfish that features a footwell.

I, with my brother built the Boys Life version back in 1969  and that’s how I learned to sail and was probably some of the most fun sailing of my entire life. We  sailed local lakes, bays and launched through the surf into the ocean, getting back through the surf onto the beach was always a little exciting.

Dave K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.