Chesapeake bulkhead

I am getting ready to put in the bulkheads in preparation of filleting the  hull. I need to know if I should shape the bulkheads to fit better. See below for a picture of both bulkheads. The stern bulkhead has a better fit but the bow bulkhead has a very large gap.

They are at the position that the plans indicate. 62 1/2 inches and 117 inches from the bow. 

aft bulkhead 

forward bulkhead

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake bulkhead

The pictures don't seem to be showing for everyone. Let me try to post the again from a different location.

Forward bulkhead

Forward bulkhead

Aft bulkhead

Aft bulkhead

The rear bulk head will be fine. I would trim the front bulk head for a better fit. On my last boat I ended up moving the front bulk head foward about a inch after triming it to get it to fit.

Thanks,

That is what I was expecting. I just wanted to get confirmation since I wan't sure how much of an impact moving the bulkhead would make on the construction.

From my measurements, it looks like I will be moving the bulkhead forward about 1.5" and reducing the top width from .25" to .5 inch on each side.

Hector

Be careful here.  I don't know how fast the sheer is rising at the forward bulkhead, but the height where the bulkhead meets the sheer clamps looks about right.  So, when you move it forward, it may be to low.  If that is the case, you will then need to elevate the bulkhead and fill underneath.  It gets complicated so just move with caution.

Paul G

Hector - I had EXACTLY the same issue with my recently-finished Ches 17LT (I assume that like me you are building from plans, not a kit - it looks like it).   I simply cut out another bulkhead to the correct size, using the original as a template and just re-drawing the lines slightly where necessary.   Or you could do the same with a piece of stiff card and keep trimming until the fit's exact, then trace onto ply, cut, perfect fit!

Enjoy the rest of the build.

Wordsmith

Thanks to all for your help.  I am building from a kit so I don't have extra wood to cut out another bulkhead. It would have been my preferred solution.

I went ahead and moved the bulkhead forward around 1.5" and reduced the width at the top of the bulkhead so that it had a snug fit. It is much better now. I have no more than .25" gap at any pont except where the hull sides meet the bottom panels.

Hector

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.