Skerry build log

Like Ian_C, I am documenting the build of my Skerry. I am a complete newbie, so I've been asking lots of questions here and CLC support. My log has lots of pictures, and also documents my stumbling around.

The log is here: http://geophile.com/boat. I update it every week or so, (my build location is a couple of hours from my home).

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry build log

Well, at least you ain't lost your sense of humor.  <;-)

.....Michael

Your log is a hoot. Keep it going! And the same goes for boat building. Just keep it going. I think the biggest risk is getting bogged down and failing to finish the build. You've already learned the key concept: anything can be fixed with epoxy, fiberglass, and wood (or wood dust).

Your Skerry is looking like a boat already -- a lovely one at that!

Keep up the great work!  I just wish your website wasn't so fancy.  It's a bit distracting... ;)

CaptainSkully: Yeah, sorry about all the ads and popups.

Hey, I'm new to the forum and I've been making Skerries for a while. Just as a hobby for close friends at the moment, but I'd like to be able to turn it into a profitable business eventually. I'm moving house soon and I'm going to make the double garage into a workshop. 

HarryC: Just curious, do you start with a plan or a kit? I'm starting with a kit, and the investment of money (to say nothing of time!) is high. What I mean is that I could buy a used boat for far less than what I'm spending on the kit alone. (And these boats are mostly larger, faster.) I'm not tempted at all (obviously), I want the experience of building my own and sailing what I build. I'm just wondering what sort of prices you'd have to charge to make money.

You're on the right track.  You've learned the basic rules: 1) accept imperfection in your boat building; and 2) keep going.  You'll get there.  Launch by spring, for sure.  Looking good.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.