Oars for Peeler Skiff

Over the last couple of years, we've gradually been upgrading my Peeler Skiff. Last year we added a sit-down center console, leaving the cockpit seats untouched. This season, because we go up and down Narragansett Bay, I began to worry about using a canoe paddle for emergency propulsion and decided to find a better alternative.

After researching the problem I concluded that 9-foot oars would do the trick, but storing 9-foot oars on a 15' 2" boat can be problematic. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a pair of 9’ 4″ 2-piece shaft Scamp oars from Gig Harbor Boat Works in Gig Harbor, WA. Saturday, we installed the oarlocks and tried out the new oars. I was genuinely amazed at how well the Peeler moves and maneuvers with the new oars. She's no wherry, but she rows comfortably and makes and keeps way well. I now consider the auxilliary propulsion problem solved.

Cheers,

Dick

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Oars for Peeler Skiff

Where do sit when rowing? I have the stock CLC center console so would row from the bow seat.

Catboater,

Because I'm 73, my center console is positioned forward of the cockpit seats so I can sit facing forward on the athwartship cockpit seat when I operate the boat. When I row, I sit on that same cockpit seat facing aft.  The oarlocks are installed on the gunwales 13-inches from the aft edge of athwartships seat. Each oar breaks down into two pieces and is stowed below the gunwales using 32mm Allen nylon spring clips.

I'm still hoping to bump into you in Wickford Harbor.

Cheers,

Dick

https://www.boatlocker.com/catalog/product/view/id/12663/s/allen-spring-clip-32mm/category/456/

After checking out the Scamp oars ($$$$$) I think I’ll go with the Motorguide R3 option. Almost the same money and the deep cycle battery will help trim the bow.

Catboater,

But think of all the exercise I'm getting as I row over the shallows at low tide. It's turning my keg into a six-pack.

Cheers,

Dick   

Catboater,

Here's a picture of my center console. It's not the Peeler Skiff standard.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.