Fitting an electric motor to the Northeaster Dory

I took some time and guess work, but I solved it and the proof was on Thursday evening in Barnegat Bay.  There was  an on shore breeze that was keeping the boat from heading out.  So I got out, pushed off again! and jumped (does any 73 yr old jump anywhere?) back in turning the motor to position 5.  We headed out, unfurled the jib and enjoyed the evening for a bit.  I didn't put up the main because I wanted a sense of the boat without being over whelmed.  It was fine under the jib. With the sun going down and the wind dying we headed back to shore, furled the jib and turned the motor to position 2.  Glided in very nicely and slowly. 

So, read about what I did.  I've tried to cover all aspects but don't hesitate to ask ?'s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10640650@N02/

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fitting an electric motor to the Northeaster Dory

That's just fantastic. 

Go to this link.  I have been just learning how to use Flickr. So I've made a few mistakes. And since I can't edit the previous post, here you are......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10640650@N02/albums/72157709921652781

How does the motor affect your saling?  Can you tell that its there?  I like where you located the battery.

For me, the motor is not a problem in sailing.  Perhaps for a purist every little bit of drag might be noticed.  I have only noticed a difference in drag at the helm in that I have to hold the rudder a bit more towards the left.  Since I have "centering" marks on the gunnel and tiller arm, I have noticed this.

The reason I spent the time to develop this was that my wife and I could be out in the middle of a lake towards the end of a day and not have any wind.  It could be a bit hard on us to row all the way back.  It was never meant to be a power house, just a little pusher.  A few miles per hour.  And it turns out that it will propel the boat into a 6" to 8" chop with an 8 mph breeze.

Admiral,

Great job! When I was shopping for 9'4" oars for my Peeler Skiff, I ran into a rudder mounted trolling motor. It looks like a good option for those of us who don't have your skill set. I've been thinking that it might be an auxiliary propulsion option for the beautiful Autumn Leaves. I'm 73 years old too.

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks, Dick for the information on that rudder mount motor.  The only thing I see that could give one problems is balance.  Where the Dory is only 100 lbs, any major weight has to be considered.  It is why I placed the battery where I did.  I could have put the battery back under the stern thwarts but then, as I mentioned, I would be sitting far forward.  

Also, my set up is relatively easy and cheap to buy.  The only major work is making the control box.  And I have shown through photos and words how I did it.  If you can build the Autumn Leaves( great looking boat!) you should have no problem building an electric motor for it, although you would have to up the size/power and battery.  But all things are possible.

...and not just the effect of the added mass on the trim of the boat (maybe not a big deal for Autumn Leaves), but the added mass of the motor on the rudder must be considered.  It might work well when the boat is mostly level (as it likely would be if you are motoring in a calm), but, if the motor stays on the rudder while sailing, all that mass on the rudder will make it do odd things when the boat heels to the breeze if the mass of the motor isn't somehow centered near the rudder's turning axis.  The weight of the motor will tend to pull the rudder to the downwind side, which may create a very strong lee helm effect.  A tiller tamer may ameliorate the effect, but you'll lose all of the tiller feedback feeling--it'd be like steering a schooner with Edson worm gear steering.

I had a rudder mounted motor bracket on a Sea Pearl 21.  Didn't care much for it, mostly for reasons noted above.  Only had a motor for it for a few of the 22 seasons she had me, and the motor stayed at home or ashore a good bit as it was.

Just a thought.....

.....Michael

Hi there, Admiral. I've been trying to figure out ways to add an electric motor to my Northeaster Dory, so I was excited to see your post. I'm unable to see your solution -- my own limitations, I'm sure. Would you mind contacting me at [email protected]? I see you're in NJ; I'm just up the Delaware in Callicoon, NY. Would love to hear/see how you accomplished this. Thanks.
Joe Freda
845-798-0897

I like the way you have your oars stowed. How did you accomplish this?

A beautiful skerry....but no matter how I try I don't see any electric motor attached in any of the two videos and the launch photo. What am I missing?   

Adm. Sinkworthy, I'd love to see your work, but I cannot see anything about a motor on the links given. Just 16 photos and a video. 

I too have a NE dory (lug rig) and have just acquired an electric trolling outboard and a 12V marine battery. Up here in The North we're still icebound, but I hope to start trials in a few weeks. I'll let y'all know how I get on. Some considerations:

* how to mount the motor; likely on an extension clamped to the gunnels near the transom. Or build another mast thwart with an extension to hold the outboard, then steer with the rudder.

* where to put the battery ... I don't have a case yet and probably need extension cables. And some way to brace it.

The plan is to combine sailing and motoring, e.g. motor against the prevailing wind in the morning and sail back in the afternoon.

The goal is not to stop sailing or rowing, but to go further.

I too don't see anything in the pictures about how theOP mounted the trolling motor. 

What I am doing right now is using two pieces of wood and just clamping the motor to the stern piece.. but tthat wont work when in sailing mode. I am considering just clamping the motor to a thward up near the bow and relocating the head of the trolling motor towards the back. That would be easiest and cheapest. 

Battery wise.. I am leaning towards putting it as far to the bow as possible because I sit in the back and the counter weight of the battery would be helpful.

Remember that the longer the run from the battery, the bigger the cables need to be to keep the amps flowing easily.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.