East Port Nesting Pram Build reflections and suggestions for solo builders.

First time CLC builder but I have done extensive cruiser restoration so I've quite a bit of experience with wood torture and epoxy/glass work.

First rate kit.  I'd have been hard pressed to have made up my own parts with anywhere near the precision that CLC provided with the kit,  Everything fits.  Everything.

As for the build I found a couple of parts a real challenge and these might stump a less experienced builder.  One was stitching planks 3 and 4.  The other was gluing the rub rail to the boat.

Up to plank 3 the build is pretty straight forward.  There is a pretty big curve both horizontally and vertically in plank 3 and 4.  I found it helpful to use three lightweight ratcheting tiedown straps to help hold the planks in positiion as I stitched.  I marked the planks for positioning and attached one tiedown near the center bulkhead.  Gently pull the plank in, just enough to keep it from moving.  Add a half dozen stitches at the center bulkhead and then start working forward and aft.  I found adding a strap as I moved, just to stabilize the plank and help guide it into position was very helpfull. 

Rather than gluing both rubrail halfs together and trying to bend them into position as one piece I did the rail in two steps. I've also had trouble holding wet assemblies in position as wet resin is slippery and even with clamps parts tend to wander around. I drilled 5/64 inch holes about every foot so that I could drive a  small finishing nail through the rail horizontally andinto plank 4. This will stabilize the rail in the vertical position.  Position the first rail piece and gently tap a nail into plank 4 at the center bulkhead.  You're not nailing the rail in, just tacking it so it doesn't move.  Work forward and aft tacking and clamping as you go.  If your rail stock has a little twist in it you can easily move it into position as the tacking nails are holding the already clamped section right flush with the top of plank 4.  Do the same procedure for the outer rail piece and you'll get a nice neat installation.  After the epoxy cures from each rail piece just remove the little tacking nails with a pair of pliers.

Maybe this will help someone out.  Tomorrow I'm cutting her in half.  Wish me luck!

Captain Pearl

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: East Port Nesting Pram Build reflections and suggestions for solo builders.

I wish you all joy of your bisection!  May it come off like a successful Woman Sawn in Half magician's trick.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.