EARTH DAY SPLASH New Shearwater

To celebrate EARTH DAY 2009 I just splashed my Shearwater 17 Hybrid with a strip bamboo deck. I was first introduced to the many uses of bamboo in Japan way back in 1959 where it was being used for everything from multi story scaffolding to food. Over the years I have seen the use of bamboo expand in every corner of the world and today it is one of nature’s most renewable resources. Building material, clothing, even bicycle frames are made of this fast growing grass and the list goes on and on. I chose bamboo for the deck of this Shearwater Hybrid to speak to its beauty, workability and most importantly its sustainability. The Zen nature of paddling inspired the graphics. Of the over 1400 species of bamboo most renew in no more than five years (Western Red Cedar takes more than 20 years) and I found it easy and rewarding to work with. I urge you to explore the many uses of bamboo and to incorporate its use into your life. Our forests and our earth will be grateful…… Have a look at my new boat at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jacknlin/CLCKayak?authkey=Gv1sRgCPeVg4q5lYqndA

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: EARTH DAY SPLASH New Shearwater

Beautiful boat. What's the source of supply for strip bamboo usable for a smooth surface? You can email me direct at [email protected]

Very, very, VERY nice indeed, Jack - you must be pleased and proud in equal measure.   I think the subtle contrasts in shade on the deck compare very favourably with the more distinct colour differences we normally see with strip decks, and in my eyes that's enhanced the beauty of your creation.   Love the whimsical touch of the bamboo toggle handle - on a conventional craft it would perhaps look a bit silly but on yours it's the perfect finishing detail!

Now - back to my own S&G Shearwater build!

Wordsmith

PS - belatedly, I endorse your comment that bamboo is being used for everything.   Just last week I saw men's socks advertised by the ALDI  supermarket chain, made of BAMBOO FIBRE!   Never seen it before!!   If I bought a pair would I be able to walk on water, d'you think?

Very nice! Is bamboo a lot lighter than cedar? Did you have to saturate it with epoxy or is it dense enough? And please tell us where you can buy it.

Impressive job Jack. I like the subtle asymmetric stipes.

I'd really like to know more about the bamboo. Is this a first? I haven't heard of bamboo being used for srtipping before. It seems like a fantastic idea. How does the weight compare to a cedar strip? What dimension strips did you use? What was the source for the bamboo and how was it prepared? How easy was it to work with compared to cedar? How did it sand? How well did it take to epoxy and fiberglass? Cost? Durability?

I'd love to see more pictures of the building process and especially of the deck construction!

--

Ogata (eric)

Thanks, for everyones response. I'm off shore right now and will write more later but to address a few, Bamboo is heaver than cedar but much stronger.  I ran 1/4" x 1" strips through a drum sander down to 1/8" and it was lighter and still stronger than 1/4" cedar. No staples and it sanded and took varnish and epoxy well. I'll have this boat at O fest and will write much more later. I don't know of anyone using bamboo in this application before and we'll see hjow it does long term. SEEYA Jack

Very well done!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.