Expoxy Final Fill Coat Failure

This was supposed to be the final fill coat of epoxy in the cockpit of my WD 12 Hybrid but this is what I saw 7 hours later:

Some history first.  The previous epoxy coat was applied 9 months ago and I've been working on the strip planks since then.  I removed the deck and temporay forms and was working on removing the hot glue that secured the forms.  I used a paint scraper with Goo Gone then denatured alcohol.  I rough sanded with 120 grit then vacuumed the residue and wiped it all down with more alcohol.  I applied the expoxy with a foam roller and tipped it with a foam brush as I've done countless times before (this is my second WD 12). 

Any thoughts?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Expoxy Final Fill Coat Failure

This is a mystery that also occasionally occurred during the construction of my skerry. I never found out what the cause was. Maybe the humidity?
The solution was always: sanding again, cleaning and again epoxy.
Good luck
Ruud

Thanks for the reply Ruud.

This is not the first time I’ve seen this. It happened several times on my first build. I did exactly as you suggested by sanding and reapplying the epoxy, which eventually worked, but I’m tired of chasing the perfect final fill. 

Also, where’s the spellcheck when you need it?  Expoxy! 

Well, maybe that's the problem--you used expoxy instead of epoxy by mistake, and the poxy stuff went out instead of in!  A pox on all expoxy!  <;-)

.....Michael

Did this happen all over or certain areas? 

It happened on a few small areas only.  I was working in the cockpit only and started at the bulkhead and worked my way to the bow and back down to the other side.  I was working with approximately 6-7 oz of epoxy (stirred for 3 minutes) and the problem areas occurred near the end of the session.  I work with a good steady pace so I'd be surprised if curing is the issue.

Hey Gramps, good theory about the poxy.  LOL

It is a feature, not a flaw. Your feet need traction in the cockpit!   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.