Motoring Passagemaker

Curious. I built a Passagemaker with intent to row/motor it about. I’m using a 2.3 hp Honda four-stroke, which weighs about 30#, and I weigh about 190. With just me in the boat, at the helm of my little motor, and sitting aft, it seems the bow of the boat rides quite high. Do people add counter weights in the forward area to bring the boat into a less exaggerated forward lift, or is this just the way “she rolls?”

Thanks,

Scott 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Motoring Passagemaker

Tiller extension 

My Passagemaker bow rides high in all scenarios.  I believe it's part of the design.  But I can see where it could become a safety issue when motoring.  In the Caribbean, we use a piece of PVC pipe that is slotted to fit the outboard grip, then a stainless hose clamp to keep it in place.  This should allow you to comfortably sit as far forward as you want.  My old Honda 2.3hp is sitting on the garage floor needing some TLC.

Speaking of motoring a Passagemaker, I'm in the market for a proper outboard of the older 2-stroke variety for my Passagemaker.  I'm looking for the quietest (no Seagull or air-cooled Honda), lightest (less than 30 lbs.), smoothest (might be willing to go over 30 lbs. a bit for a twin cylinder), and, of course, dependable; and, still push the boat well in a chop.  Suggestions based upon personal experience would be most appreciated.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.