WD12 Hybrid almost done

Building a kayak update: All I can say is WOW! First coat of varnish on the deck. New routine for the next few days. Light sanding and clean, varnish hull in the morning, 24 hours later flip and varnish deck....rinse and repeat till I can't stand it any more. Will be fitted out with deck lines, seat, foot-braces and handles bow and stern. I can almost hear the water lapping at the sides!

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD12 Hybrid almost done

Beautiful work, enjoy.

Dave

That is very nice. I like the veneer around the coaming.

Laszlo

Awesome Doug!

tell us a little more about that very cool veneer work.  how did you approach it?....what is it and where did you source the material?

congrats....very nice.

h   

First of all, thanks for the compliments.  Lots of mistakes and a steep learning curve but a good "10 foot" boat if you know what I mean.

My first attempt and I would have done thing a bit different had I not changed my mind hafe way through about the hull.  Originally was going to paint the hull so I was not as careful as I should have been with several operations but my wife liked the bare wood look so.....

I have to say thanks to Laszio, I stole/borrowed many of your ideas and would not have even tried this till I saw your website about building a WD12 Thanks again.

Also I have to say thanks to Nick Schade for all his videos...I learned so much.

The walnut burl is a 4 way book match on the cockpit skirt. Matching burl on the lip.  The veneer was purchased from Veneersupplies.com.  A while ago I built a vacuum press from a kit from Joewoodworker.com and have fooled around with it and a vacuum bag. After piecing everything together with a backer veneer on the underside it went into the vacuum bag.  A few mis-aligned joints, and I sanded through on one small section but all in all came nice, I'm pleased.

Have to say this forum has also helped with so great advice.  Like many things, no one really knows what it takes to build one of these till they do it themselves!

Thanks Doug

RE: WD12 Hybrid almost done Launch Day

Launch day 6/26/19 Spruce Run Reservoir NJ

Nice looking WD12, enjoy it! Did you add something (rub strip) to the keel or is it just paint?

Hi Ralph, There is a strip of carbon fiber along the bow and stearn of the keel, and an extra regular fiberglass tape along the length of the keel for protection. There is also a rub strip bow and stern.

Thanks

Doug

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.