10 year old Chesapeake 17

�I have neglected my boat so it has not been re-varnished. The bottom is painted and is in fine shape. The top has bleached out with original color under the straps. The hatch covers have crazed on some edges and the wood is gray there. There are also a few dark spots on the hatch covers. What should I do to correct my negligence? Thank you for helping me...

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 10 year old Chesapeake 17

Hi Karink, don’t beat yourself up over not slaving over your boat. It’s all easy to fix.
The discoloration/fading is permanent. And, kinda like my hair, it’s a symbol of experience and wisdom ;-p
The gray areas are probably from varnish and epoxy wearing off exposing the wood itself. Sand down to clean bare wood, add a few new layers of epoxy and varnish. Painters tape will help you keep epoxy off of areas that don’t need it.
It would probably be a good idea to give your deck a deep sanding, maybe even down to the epoxy. Keep an eye on the color of sanding dust to figure when you’ve gotten all the varnish off. If the varnish is tight and not flaking you can avoid going all the way down to epoxy. I have noticed it’s a good idea to keep the amount of sanding uniform to avoid large variations in color.
It’ll be a Zen few days of petting your boat and you’ll reprise the feeling you had right after you finished your initial build.
Good on ya!

RE: 10 year old Chesapeake 17

���Thanks! This 75 year old woman with a few signs of age will match her kayak. Since it is just the deck and the hatch covers, it now sounds very doable. Please reccomend the epoxy and varnish I should use. Karin

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.