Roof rack for Millcreek 16.5

I'm building a Millcreek 16.5 and need to get a roof-rack/kayak rack for my 2006 Honda CRV. I was wondering if anyone had any issues with this style kayak rack with the Millcreek 16.5 (given both the length and beam of the boat): https://www.amazon.com/OxGord-Kayak-Canoe-Carrier-Universal/dp/B075Z8XFN4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PXDZLFD9M3FR&keywords=honda+crv+kayak+roof+rack&qid=1560040719&s=automotive&sprefix=kayak+roof+rack+crv%2Cautomotive%2C172&sr=1-3

I'm also a little leery of the CRV roof rack systems, because the mounting points for the rack seem awfully close together and the kayak is so long.

Thanks!

Todd

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Roof rack for Millcreek 16.5

Most kayaks are much longer than the space between most bars, unless you have a short kayak on a truck. Cartoppers handle that by running a bow line from the front of the boat to a point on the front of the car and a stern line to the back of the car. The towing attachment points, if your car has them, are a good place to tie to.

Laszlo

if you search on the internet the term 'kayak hood straps' you will find something like below (there are several places to buy...so i am not endorsing REI..just an example):

https://www.rei.com/product/818318/seattle-sports-hood-loops?sku=8183180001&store=91&cm_mmc=PLA_Google_LIA|404_176636|8183180001|none|bf1ace24-3be9-4420-a826-1f14f5cc26a1|pla-450192220531&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_176636|8183180001|none|bf1ace24-3be9-4420-a826-1f14f5cc26a1&kclid=bf1ace24-3be9-4420-a826-1f14f5cc26a1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3PLnBRCpo8PCoaGM99MBEiQAppRuC6E6aYhbuXFud6uMON6nvsg78Xx--Vg1xjcMq26mzlEaAveB8P8HAQ

i highly recommend these becuase when you have short bars, you need to ensure that the bow of the boat is not only being held down but does not easily pushed from side to side.   the way to do that is with a triangle and these straps basically allow you to go from the sides of the car to the bow of the kayak....which really helps keep the bow pointed straight.

if you have these on the bow, you are ok with a single line holding the stern down.  anyway, i have used these for a long time and a lot of miles and would not go without them if your bars are close to one another like mine.  if the wind catches the bow, it can create a lot of torque if you don't have somethign stabilizing the boat from side-to-side.

h

btw....they also easily hide-away under the hood when you are not using them...so spouses or partners less likely to complain:)

hood straps

just a picture of the hood straps in action.  please note this picture shows my set-up for a short drive (but you can see how the hood straps come out of each side of the hood).  if i was going on the highway, i would have a double bow line right from the hole in the bow to each hood strap on either side (vs looped into the toggle line which is what this picture shows).

���It's a timely subject for me as I reach the end of my MC16.5 build. I have similar "J " style cradles which I have used over a number of years to transport my sit on top kayak - a Malibu 2 which has a similar beam to the mill creek but is 3 feet shorter. I dont intend to use them with the MC as I feel that when the kayak is on its side in the cradle there is far to much windage. Ive had a couple of scary moments in cross winds, particulary on the old Forth Road Bridge. My guess is that you would be better transporting the MC on its flat bottom on the roof bars, suitable tied fore and aft to either end of the vehicle as well as strapped down to the roof bars. I intend to use foam on the roof bars to protect the bottom. That is what I've done the last couple of trips with the Malibu 2, and it is easier to load and more secure.

Ah, thanks LTL! That's what I was wondering. It seems kinda beamy for those J-bars.

T

If you're transporting anything on its bottom, be sure to have either a guaranteed weather forecast for no rain or a secure water-proof cover over the cockpit. At 8 lbs/gallon (1 kilo/liter for the Civilized World), a rain shower can mess up your car's center of gravity and/or strain tie-downs and racks very quickly. If cross-winds are scary, imagine a sloshing bathtub up there added into the equation.

Be safe,

Laszlo

Its a fair point Laszlo - luckily, as you may have heard,  it almost never rains in Scotland ! 

I have been looking at waterproof kayak covers for trasnporting and  storage. I've seen one or two on here that were made by the builder (or spouse) and they are very impressive. I suspect my tailoring skills fall short of what is required however, so I am shopping around. I suppose if all else fails a plywood lid to cover the cockpit firmly strapped down might suffice to keep out the worst of the weather.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.