painting name on your boat

Hi, builders. I'm running into a lot of difficulty with something that I really feel should be easy. I've come upon a name for my Shearwater Sport, and want to simply paint it onto the hull. My thinking is that I'd need to sand through the varnish, down to the epoxy, paint the name, and then re-varnish the area. Does that make sense? Any other suggestions?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: painting name on your boat

I used a decal.  They are available in a wide variety of colors, fonts and sizes from a variety of vendors.  I used BoatUS.  

Yep, self-adhesive cut vinyl is your friend in this. if you can sketch what you want it to look like, any number of on-line outfits will create a stick-on decal that’ll outdo your skills as a sign painter and last longer as well. Comes time to refinish, a quick pass w/ hair drier will soften adhesive enough you can peel decal off in seconds.

Heat gun’d work too but use caution with these unless you’re well acquainted with how to control the heating aspect or you can do real damage to what a decal is stuck on.

If you do decide to go with paint instead, you only have to do all that sanding if your paint and varnish are not compatible. Otherwise, just clean the varnish surface and apply the paint.

If you do go with the vinyl lettering, CLC sells it here.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Hey, thanks for the replies. I've ordered a vinyl stencile from here at CLC, so we'll see how it goes!!! I'll post pics once the project is done.

Vinyl logo/lettering is cheap, easy, repair-replaceable.

Here is mine.     

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.