Painting Questions...

Had a hammer drop off a rack that took a decent sized chunk of veneer off on one side panel of my second duck (pre glass, but post deck attachment; filets were curing)... so I have decided to patch over with wood flour/epoxy and then go with paint on the sides. I am going to go with the graphite/epoxy coating on the bottom panels and then thinking dark blue interlux brightsides on the side up to the deck (still going bright on the deck of course)

My questions are...

1. Will I get enough coverage with 1 quart of interlux paint to do this? I'm having a hard time finding this information other then that I will need arround 3-4 thin coats.

2. Should I do a primer coat first? (after fiberglassing; using the standard kit issued MAS Slow cure-non blush epoxy)

3. I am debating about doing a paint over the deck line much like alot of the painted chesapeakes i've seen - but having a hard time picturing this in my mind for the deck of a duck. My worry is that it will look out of place over the areas where the shear clamps come to an end and sort of twist up to the saple deck. Any yay or nay suggestions?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Painting Questions...

1. Will I get enough coverage with 1 quart of interlux paint to do this? I'm having a hard time finding this information other then that I will need arround 3-4 thin coats.

One quart will provide plenty of coverage when brushing. A little less if you are spraying though a quart should do it, especially if you use tinted primer. I've never used graphite but I hear it is not compatible with paint.

2. Should I do a primer coat first? (after fiberglassing; using the standard kit issued MAS Slow cure-non blush epoxy)

Not neccessary for adhering paint but I find primer a time saver. Primer is a bit thicker and softer than paint so priming first and then fine sanding eliminates almost all scratch marks. You can sand out epoxy to the same smoothness but it takes a lot longer and you risk exposing some 'glass. Put some tint in your primer to help paint coverage

3. I am debating about doing a paint over the deck line much like alot of the painted chesapeakes i've seen - but having a hard time picturing this in my mind for the deck of a duck. My worry is that it will look out of place over the areas where the shear clamps come to an end and sort of twist up to the saple deck. Any yay or nay suggestions?

Nay. This is of course a personal preference but I think wrapping the paint over the shear and onto the deck looks awkward. To me it smacks of a quick and dirty remedy for poor craftmanship and is very obvious. Take your time and do a good job on the hull/deck joint and then show it off. The "natural" break between different colors is on a corner, not on a flat panel. A really nice finishing touch is either rub rails or a thin ( 1/4") black line painted right on the corner.

Dusty

Painting Questions: masking

I agree with Dusty's advice.  Also--in painting my wood Duck 12 I learned the hard way not just to tape-mask a sharp line at the edges, but also to tape a protective skirt made out of old newspapers over parts not immediately being painted.  There are tiny drips and splashes ejected from a brush or sloughing off the edge of a cup of paint no matter how careful you are, which can be very annoying when they land on varnish, or a painted surface of a different color. Here's what my Wood Duck looked like (from a safe distance) after it was painted. http://jockyellott.googlepages.com/home 

RE: Painting Questions...

Thanks!

I agree that wrapping the paint over the deck line is not the way to go - probably why I couldn't quite picture it to begin with; however I like the rub rail or thin line idea as a transition to the deck.

Just to clarify... The graphite/epoxy mix is just going to be on the bottom panels and seperate from the painted side panels.

Rafaelo, thanks for the advice and the pictures - to tell the truth it took me a while to come to terms with the idea of painting... but your duck looks great so a big sigh of relief here.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.