WD12 Glassing sequence

Getting close to glassing my WD12. Manual says to fully glass the hull and then the deck, feathering in a couple inch overlap of deck glass into the hull section. I am wondering what is the down side of instead, applying the hull glass with just the single application coat of epoxy and then doing the hull with just the application coat and then going back and applying the two remaining hull coats and then the two remaining deck coats. Seems that would make the feathering of the overlap section of glass a bit easier since it sits under two layers of hull epoxy. Any thoughts?

Ted

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD12 Glassing sequence

Ted,

Are you talking about when to fill the weave? If you're asking about applying the hull glass and leaving the weave unfilled, next applying the deck glass and then filling the  weave for the whole boat, there's no downside that I know of. That's exactly how I did my WD12. You're absolutely right, it made feathering the deck glass overlap easier.

My WD12 build website also has a neat trick for getting a nearly perfect edge that needs almost no sanding to invisibly feather it into the deck that you might be interested in checking out.

Have fun,

Laszlo

���

Laszlo,

Sorry about the prior errant send - composing on a cellphone can be dangerous (I'm now on a computer).

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was referring to filling the weave after both halves had been glassed. Glad to hear my idea was not original but one you had done succesfully.

Your approach of plastic taping the hull to aid in trimming the deck glass that overlaps sounds great. It was something I was toying with doing but I had not thought about doing the trimming when the deck glass was leathery so it parts nicely along the line where the tape is. I certainly will give this a go. Thanks for all your suggestions and your WD12 build webpage. I've referred to it often.

Ted

Laszlo,

I agree with Ted, I have borrowed some ideas from your WD12 Build. I am just getting to this part.

Thanks!

Rhonda

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.