OK to use Peel Ply on last coat of epoxy? (2'nd of two postings)

I'm finishing my new kick up rudder for my NE Dory and have 4 coats (soon to be the final fifth coat) of epoxy on the flat rudder blade. To get a real smooth finish and avoid some sanding, I was thinking of using some left over Peel Ply I have from the original build 4 years ago.  I was thinking. could brush on the epoxy on one side, lay on the peel ply into the epoxy with the cloth running off the trailing edge, squeegee it into the epoxy, add more epoxy as needed to wet out the cloth, then wrap the cloth around the leading edge, to do the same to the other side, again trailing the cloth off the trailing edge. 

I remember a lot of talk about using peel ply on top of glass on the initial coat, but I did not apply glass initially, and am thinking of using the peel ply on the last (5'th) coat.

Sound OK?

Thanks!

Curt

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: OK to use Peel Ply on last coat of epoxy? (2'nd of two postings)

You've used PeelPly before?

If not I'd suggest trying a sample item, see what the surface looks/feels like once it's been removed.

You might be surprised to discover the surface you're presented with needs more sanding (than if you'd not used PeelPly) if you're looking to achieve as smooth a surface as possible.   

RE: OK to use Peel Ply on last coat of epoxy? (2'nd of two postings)

good advice, yes I've successfully used Peel Ply before on top of initial glass wet out, just not on a 5'th coat.

Thanks

Curt

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.