How Many Strips for a Petrel Deck?

So, I purchased the Petrel strip kit back a few years ago, then life got in the way; a change of jobs, city, houses and all the baggage that comes with life changes. Now I’m finally getting back to it (the boat) and those previous ideas for mixed wood types; medium Western Red Cedar, light blond Alaskan Yellow Cedar and dark brown Walnut, have either escaped me or no longer agree with me.

I find myself mid-way through stripping the hull (enjoying every bit) and I have 12 strips of the very light blond strips that I don’t see fitting into the pattern I now foresee.

My question therefore is, How many strips (8’ bead & cove) does it take for the deck? Do I have enough without the 12 blonds? Do I need to order some more to get to the finish line?

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How Many Strips for a Petrel Deck?

Here is CLC's calculation method.  Use the max deck width for B:  https://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/strip_planking/how-many-cedar-strips-will-i-need.html

i have built a petrel and 3 packs of 8 foot at 20/strips per pack would be more than adequate...and leave you with some excess.

the  petrel,  according to the bill of materials,  ships with 1020 lineal feet of the bead and cove. (see the petrel description- parts for plan builders)

so if you want to be conservative, half for the deck and half for the hull.  so half is 510 feet and 510/8 is 63 8 foot strips.  but the deck is actually less than half...so for me i would just order 3 packs of 20 (60 eight foot strips)

i happen to live close to CLC, so i have typically bought in increments of 10....but i don't know where the breakeven is on shipping costs and the charges for multiple shipments if you under order.   if i was trying to have nothing left over,  my calculations show the more accurate answer is slightly over 50 strips.....that is why i am suggesting 60.

CLC may be able to make a suggestion as well if you call their help line.

h

just a little follow-up on my note and Mark N's.  if you look at the page Mark cites, B is normally defined as the 'girth' at the widest point, not the maximum deck width.  the girth is the length of a string wrapped around a kayak at its widest point, (kind of like a circumference) and the width is like a diameter.

that said, interestingly enough, for the deck itself,and the petrel, if you defined B as the 'width' (20 inches) and applied the equation....you would also get 510 lineal feet (or about 3 packs of 20 x 8).    but just wanted to point that out if you read it and noticed the difference.  not sure if mark had already made a math adjustment....so it was interesting to see the numbers come in about the same.

fwiw...i run a couple different equations and cross check the results....but my answer is also is confirmed with my experience with the petrel and not just running the equations.

h

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I did notice the "girth" part of the equation, thanks for that.

Good to hear the estimated 60 number for the deck from your experience.

I'll need to doule-check what I've got on hand vs. where I'm at, when I get back in the shop. 

thx 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.