CH 17 hatch frames

After more time (years) than I care to admit I am finally seeing the end of the tunnel of my Ch 17 build.  I haven’t decided whether to install hatch covers but I thought I would at least prepare them while waiting for the coats of varnish to dry.  I don’t see anything in the build manual or the forum ( which doesn’t mean it’s not there) that addresses how far apart the hatch frames are supposed to be.  As best as I can tell, there are two for the forward hatch and three for the aft.  Is it is simple as making them equidistant from each other and the ends of the respective hatches?  Thanks  Bruce 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: CH 17 hatch frames

Ruach, 

the forward hatch, as you point out has two frames and the rear has three frames.

with respect to their positioning, the fore and aft ribs within each hatch should be as far forward and far aft and still fit within the hatch opening (so no, they are not 'equidistant'  from the ends and one another.

the only exception is the middle frame on the rear hatch which is basically equidistant (in the middle) of the rear hatches fore and aft ribs.

please see picture from my old manual

hope this helps.

sounds like you are getting close

h

You really want to follow hspira's advice on this.  If you don't and your frames are to far from the front/back, the hatch cover could slide forward/back enough that the opening to the compartment is no longer completely covered.  This would be really bad in waves.

Mark N said, "  If you don't and your frames are to far from the front/back, the hatch cover could slide forward/back enough that the opening to the compartment is no longer completely covered.  This would be really bad in waves....."

Mine had a different cause.  My front hatch slid back about an inch and filled up the front compartment  about half way during a botched surf launch. It seemed like the front hatch was letting out about the same as the cockpit.  Fit and motion limitation is important.

bruce, 

i did want to re-emphasize Mark's point as it has an important safety dimension.   in addition to the hatch cover being held down, it needs to stay in its position over the hatch (not slide off) 

while the straps provide the down force, it's the ribs in this construction against the inside of the hatch opening that provides the ultimate insurance preventing the hatch cover from sliding fore/aft or side-to-side such that it is not covering the hatch opening.  

fwiw, when i built these, i made it a bit tight and subsequently shaved the edge of my ribs back with a file so that they fit snugly within the hatch opening allowing for a fit with little 'sliding' movement available.

the other reason this is important is it ensures your gasket will stay propoerly positioned over the hatch lip which improves the water-tightness of these hatches.

h

Thanks much for the replies.  I gather it is advisable to cut the hatch openings  before proceeding.  Since I haven’t decided about the hatches, and may defer the decision for a while, I had wanted to prepare them while I had down time waiting for coats of varnish to dry - as well as put as much together as possible so as not to lose the parts,  I’m wondering if I can use the paper template - which if I follow it accurately should mirror the actual opening - as a guide for placing the frames? Bruce

the paper template will work well enough to allow you do what you are proposing 

h  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.