Skerry Spritsail Height Above Boat

Hi folks.  I'm sure John Harris did a lot of experimentation to find the ideal height above the cockpit for the Skerry spritsail.  However, I’ve read of a Skerry builder/owner who moved the spritsail to a slightly lower location than the one recommended.  Have any of you done this?  If so, what was your reason for the change? (aesthetics, performance, etc.).  Do you think moving the location of the sail somewhat downward on the mast will affect the Skerry's performance positively or negatively? 

I’d appreciate your experience and perspectives on this.  Thanks.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Spritsail Height Above Boat

I think the height of the sprit sail was to reduce the chance of being bonked in the head by the boom.

I lowered my sprit sail as I mostly use it with out a boom.  If I use a boom it is a sprit boom and attached to the mast with a snotter (I just love the sound of that).

I also use a barber hauler when sailing boom less.

The link below will take you to a picture of my setup.

ttps://photos.app.goo.gl/utsh4ke8m9Px66Sn6   

Jackie, looks nice with the sprit boom.  Can you tell me why you decided on that instead of the conventional boom?  And, is your sail the stock sail that came with the CLC kit?  It looks larger somehow.  Could that be because you lowered it?  

Best wishes,

Steve 

Jackie, I just looked at your photo again.  That can't be the stock sail.  It's larger with a higher peak, and you have reef points as well.  Looks good.  Steve

Yes my sail is a bit larger than the stock sail.  I did a lot of research on sprit sails and tried a more traditional approach.  I purchased a sail kit from Sailright that was made to my special requirements.  Then I roped the working edge, added traditional cringles etc.  Used my wife's sewing machine and the dinning room table to sew it together.

There is a good article in one of the older Woodwn Boat Magazines on Sprit sails and how to use them.  Issue No. 89, page 30

The book "The Working Guide To Traditional Small-Boat Sails" by David Nichols, has good information that might be helpful.

Below is a link to my Skerry build.  You will find a few pictures of the sail as it was assemdled as well as lots of construction pictures.  My boat is for sale by the way

https://goo.gl/photos/Tnj5DKaWcUv19ZCr6

Jackie, beautiful boat.  Where are you located?  If you'd like to email me, I'm at [email protected]

Thanks.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.