Cleaning the hull after an outing

How do folks clean their hulls post-paddle?  My Wood Duck tends to pick up a yellow-brown pond scuzz from our local reservoir.  Sponging the hull with water alone I find, isn't enough to defeat pond scum, not to mention tiny nasty clinging bits of potentially invasive water plants I wouldn't want to transport to the next pond.  But I am leery of putting soap grey water into a reservoir.  Are there biodegradable, non-hurtful soaps or detergents?      

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cleaning the hull after an outing

I take it home dirty, dump it onto the lawn and then use the garden hose & a sponge. So far everything's come off fine and the lawn eats the nutrients.

Laszlo

I take it home dirty and then put it on a rack and let my girlfriend wash it using a car wash soap from Wally World.  Hasn't hurt the grass in 4 years.

Kev

Ah-but "home" for me is an apartment.  No lawn.  No garden hose.  And no bikini-clad girlfriend willing to soap it down.  So I am hoping to find an eco-soap I can use on-site.  

So where are you going to get a hose on site?  With clean water?  Any camping dish soap, or camping shampoo will work for your needs.

Trust me, you dont want to see MY girlfriend in a bikini!!!  Love her dearly, but Barbie she isn't.

Kev

By odd coincidence this morning I went to walk the dog and walked right into an "Eco-fair" here in Charlottesville, Va.  In between tofu based Greek salad, and solar panels, I got by asking at various booths two eco-answers to my eco-question about kayak detergent:  "No," and "Okay, Only If".  For leave-no-tracer campers, the answer is No.  Make that NO!  They clean cookware with water and sand, or with a paste of hardwood ashes and grease;  they clean themseves with just water.   No soap, no shampoo, no detergent in the woods.  Period.   But for more moderate sorts who are not in the deep woods, a bucket, a biodegradable detergent (zero phosphate) and microfiber rag is okay, only if---administered to the kayak at least 200 feet from the water so the grey water runoff gets filtered by the soil.   

Simplegreen

at

http://www.simplegreen.com/

My buddy Al has mud from 2008 on his yak.  It doesn't seem to bother him.

Because I have a coat of wax on the hulls of my boats, a sponge and plain water takes the brown stuff off.  A little buffing takes most of the scratches out, too.  Jer (aka mtsailor)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.