Northeaster Dory

Saw an add for a NE Dory that claimed to have a gaff rig on it. Never heard of one with a gaff rig. Does that seem like a good idea on this boat. Seems that it would be a good bit harder to raise, lower and reef the sail. Not sure what it would do to the balance of the boat under sail - maybe more lee helm? If that rig is not tenable, wouldn't it be pretty easy to switch to a lug?

Thanks

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory

I used to have a schooner with 2 gaffs. It was totally easy to raise, lower and reef the sails. The main thing is to have lazy jacks or topping lifts to support the boom while the sail is loose

Since a gaff sail is fairly close in shape to a lug, it should be possible to design a sail plan where the balance is preserved. Can't guarantee that the builder of that particular boat did that, but there's no theoretical reason to not go with a gaff-rigged dory.

Laszlo

I'll have to get the guy to provide some pictures of the rig on the boat to see how it looks. My thinking is that it may have been a conversion from a rowing dory to a sailng one and the rig might be from a different boat.

Turns out it was a balanced lug. Very pretty boat. Currently adding a few things to the stock boat, including a ratchet block for the main sheet, turning block and cam cleat to run the halyard back to the center; checking today on the cost of adding a reef point. Down the road, will be looking into set up for campng on board - that will probably involve some of the side seat modifications mentioned on this site and boom tent. And,  tricky adaptation that I am hoping will work - a motor mount for a Torqueedo 1003 . If the motor works out, the range, with the aid of the solar panel and extended range battery, should be up in the 20 mile range. A very bad back would prevent me from rowing much more than a mile or so. 

It is so nice to have such a wonderful resource as this.

Ted

I have a moderate L5 spondylolysthesis which pained me for some years maybe 15 years ago or so.  It's much better now, more's the Lord's blessing, and I don't even notice it much anymore, even after hiking 10 miles.  Anyway, when I was working with an orthopedic guy doing epidural injections, PT, and other non-surgical stuff, I once remarked to him that it seemed to feel better after a bit of rowing in my Sea Pearl 21.  He said that, yes, rowing, providing I wasn't hurting myself with bad posture or bad technique, could actually be quite helpful.

Not that an electric motor wouldn't be fun, anyway.  Great way to sneak up on waterfowl for photography; the oars make more noise.  We've used a high-thrust, saltwater trolling motor on our Passagemaker Dinghy with great success.

Our PMD's lug sail (by Doug Fowler, sailmaker extraordinaire) pulls like an American Cream draft mule.  You should have a blast.

Hope your back gets better....

.....Michael

Thanks, Michael. The backs been up and down for 3.5 years since before and after surgery, but not intendendied as a complaint - I enjoy good health for my age.

I'm incouraged to here your PT thinks rowing could be not only safe, but helpful - that's what I was hopping. I have also taken up paddle boarding as it is supposed to be great for strengthening the core. So far, the paddle boarding has felt good with no stress on the back, other than moving the ackward thing around on land. Some of the inflatables, though harder to paddle, are lighter and easier to move on land, and great to tow to behind for some fun and exercise at you camping location.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.