Resurfacing

Hi Guys,  Two summers ago I finished my Wood Duck 12, and Ive gotten a lot of great paddling time in it.  It's aleady got plenty scratches, scrapes and bottom wear and strap vibration damage from where I strap it on the truck. I think it's just about due to be resurfaced.  Since I lack the time this year, Ive decided to put it off until next February/March.  Is there anything easy I can/should do to in the meantime to maintain or temporary repair (bandaids) to get another year out of this scuffed up surface?  Thanks Guys,  You've all always been a big help

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Resurfacing

hi BriC, 

i know how you feel.  refinishing every year is not something folks like to do...so a good question...what do you do between refinishing.

i would start by saying the most important thing is to deal with anything that was deep enough to cut through the wood (becuase it will quickly get damaged if it gets wet), followed by dealing with anything that got through the paint or varnish (because now you won't have UV protection....which can degrade the glass) and then there is everything else.

so if there is anything that hit the wood, i sand it a bit and throw on a couple coats of epoxy....and then paint or varnish over that....and i basically do the best i can....but i am not trying to repaint or revarnish the whole boat.    a couple steps back.....and you usually don't see it.

if its just the paint or varnish down to the epoxy...and the epoxy is fine...same process....sand it a bit and touch it up as neatly as you can to make sure the epoxy continues to get UV protection.

other things i do just in general....i always make sure i put the boat away dry....and when done, for me, i keep it in the garage and out of the sun.   i have my wifes boat going on 20 years now...and only been totally refinished twice.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.